Dive camera recommendations

dawgface

Market
Reaction score
Looking for a good quality dive camera.

At this point all I've really came up with is water proof case for an iPhone/smart phone or a GoPro. My main concerns are ease if use, quality pictures and obviously shock and water proof (30m or more).

Camera phone seems like the best option for user functionality but suffers in quality pictures obviously.

GoPro seems like it's a great tool for video but doesn't seem to have the high resolution picture available. Could be wrong here, please sound off if I am or better yet produce some examples.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Pictures of examples even more so.

GoPro is definitely better for video and not photos. How much you are willing to spend will dictate what camera is best for you.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

$200-300 if I were to give my off the gut expectations. However I've learned often in life that my expectations are commonly off when pricing things of this nature.

How about a low, medium and high with an idea of what to expect.

Sorry for this but I'm really uncivilized when it comes to photography.

GoPro.

For $300, you get the 10mp photo and 1080p video.

Or, stop being a wimp and go for the big dawg: http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition">Black Edition</a>

4k video & 12 mp photo

I dive with the GoPro and IMO I think it is not practical for photos. I use a handheld platform and the Octomask.

I have had an Olympus for photos but there are better out there if you want to spend the money.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I dove in Cozumel and the Turks and Caicos with the Go Pro Black and loved it. Took video on some dives and photos on the other. I just set it to take a still every 2-3 seconds and trashed the ones I didn't like. I used a tray from SRP to help me keep it stable.

I really want sill images, hopefully there is something out there affordable for that.

DawgFace;939824 wrote: I really want sill images, hopefully there is something out there affordable for that.

Yea, if that's your focus go a different route. The Go Pro is great but it's strength IMO is the video, not the stills. I'd think you could as good or better for less money.

Sn4k33y3z;939870 wrote: You can create any still image you want from video source... Just sayin

Yea but quality is statutory to video quality.

1080p is garbage compared to quality cameras. Honestly even garage cameras have better resolution for still pictures than the best 1480 (I believe) HD cameras.

I recently picked up a Cannon G15 and added on a waterproof housing, absolutely love it. Dove the Red Sea in December and got some great pics and vids, color a bit washed out but that's to be expected without any additional lighting. Great all around camera when not underwater too!

Scuba Steve;941292 wrote: I recently picked up a Cannon G15 and added on a waterproof housing, absolutely love it. Dove the Red Sea in December and got some great pics and vids, color a bit washed out but that's to be expected without any additional lighting. Great all around camera when not underwater too!

Can you post a picture please? I really want to see whats the difference between regular cameras with a waterproof housing and specific cameras meant for underwater photos.

zu3a7ahu.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Few pictures from my dive yesterday. This is just the Canon G15 in an underwater housing, they could be tons better if I added some strobes on.

that works, much better than I expected!

Is this the Georgia Aquarium?

Nope, its Chimelong Ocean Kingdom, largest aquarium in the world

Back