Desk Rockscape

hsky

Supporting
Reaction score
Finally finished setting up my new desk tank, IM15 cube. What do yall think about the rockwork? If you were to change anything what would it be?

The goal is to have a decent diversity of corals, I want to try some that I haven't experienced yet as well. Mushrooms, probably a torch, goni's, zoa garden on the front/right side rock.

IMG_3044.jpegIMG_3596.jpeg

I think it looks really cool! The shelf is a unique touch that will make placing corals really easy. Since it's all connected your mushrooms or zoas may eventually try to take over the whole structure but that should be pretty easy to deal with especially in such a small tank.

Only thing I'd change is actually the light. I have one of those Fluval minis and find it to be really underpowered and too heavy on the whites. I use it on a 4g planted shrimp tank now and it's perfect for that at 100% brightness. It would probably do ok with shrooms and zoas but not torches and gonis. Here's a par reading in the 4g cube, all channels 100%, dead center, 8" from the light (3in air, 5in water):

Screenshot_2023-10-08-22-08-18-82_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I'd recommend the noopsyche k7 mini as the perfect light for the IM 15. It actually costs around the same as the Fluval but is way more powerful and better spectrum. https://noopsychereeflight.com/products/k7mini

Here's a video of a guy doing par reading with the K7 Mini on an IM 15:

Btw, I have a build thread for the IM 15 with some custom 3D printed parts if you're interested. I've already printed a refugium for 2 other members :)

Tank looks great, but for me I’d go with less rock work. Once you add Corals and they start to grow it’ll be really rough to clean the side glass. It’s all about personal preference, but for me, I’d rather see more Corals and less rock.

Best advice I could give is just sit back and think about what it’s gonna look like once you see Corals on it and that will give you a better idea of how much rock work you should have.

I think it looks really cool! The shelf is a unique touch that will make placing corals really easy. Since it's all connected your mushrooms or zoas may eventually try to take over the whole structure but that should be pretty easy to deal with especially in such a small tank.

Only thing I'd change is actually the light. I have one of those Fluval minis and find it to be really underpowered and too heavy on the whites. I use it on a 4g planted shrimp tank now and it's perfect for that at 100% brightness. It would probably do ok with shrooms and zoas but not torches and gonis. Here's a par reading in the 4g cube, all channels 100%, dead center, 8" from the light (3in air, 5in water):

View attachment 81143

I'd recommend the noopsyche k7 mini as the perfect light for the IM 15. It actually costs around the same as the Fluval but is way more powerful and better spectrum. https://noopsychereeflight.com/products/k7mini

Here's a video of a guy doing par reading with the K7 Mini on an IM 15:

Btw, I have a build thread for the IM 15 with some custom 3D printed parts if you're interested. I've already printed a refugium for 2 other members :)
I would love to get the 2 covers you printed out for sure! My eventual first upgrade will be the lighting for sure, I got a pretty great deal on the fluval so I figured it should work while I add corals to the shelf and above. Do you run any kind of heater in yours? I currently have my heat stationed where your fuge sits but I may end up relocating and getting one of those from you too lol

I would love to get the 2 covers you printed out for sure! My eventual first upgrade will be the lighting for sure, I got a pretty great deal on the fluval so I figured it should work while I add corals to the shelf and above. Do you run any kind of heater in yours? I currently have my heat stationed where your fuge sits but I may end up relocating and getting one of those from you too lol

Sure thing! Pm me and we can work out the details. I run a small 25w heater from Amazon. I just have it sitting over the return pump. Just don't let it run dry lol. The fuge doesn't go all the way down so the heater could just lay flat on the bottom next to the pump

Not to derail things here, but any interest in 3D printing overflow covers for an IM 60? 😅
Mine is pretty damn quiet, but the little bit of noise I do get is from water draining into the socks.

Not to derail things here, but any interest in 3D printing overflow covers for an IM 60? 😅
Mine is pretty damn quiet, but the little bit of noise I do get is from water draining into the socks.
Lol. It's hard to design a part for a tank I don't have direct access to unfortunately. I would need precise measurements (using calipers) and even then it usually takes a couple iterations to get the tolerances right.

Back