Cycling help

The bacteria in a bottle option is basically an instant cycle method vs adding food or a piece of shrimp to the tank and letting nature take it's course. So when you dump the bottle in you need to add fish. If you don't add fish right away but add the bacteria that bacteria needs to be fed. If there wasn't a consistent source of ammonia added frequently, like daily to every other day, and weeks had gone by without adding any the bacteria most likely went dormant when there wasn't anything else for it to feed on. The NO3 you're seeing is most likely from when the bacteria had finished processing the initial ammonia you put in and the NO4 is from that bacteria going active again after what you just added. Algae need NO3 & PO4 to grow and there should be no PO4 in the tank unless it was in/on the dry rock you added. That being the case there won't be any algae that will grow until you add fish and start feeding them as that food is where the phosphorus & phosphate will come from. So we'll need to get the NO3 down before you get to that point to help mitigate the algae explosion that usually happens with all new tanks.

I would not add more Biospira or someone's live rock to the display right now unless you're ready to add fish and not going to QT them. With a the total volume you have you'll need almost 13ml of ammonia (250 drops! Much easier to add by doing ml's) to reactivate the bacteria whether it's what's in the tank already or what you add from the new bottle. (I'd add that bottle when you're ready to add the fish as some of the initial bacteria died off.) That amount of ammonia will need to be added once or twice more to verify the bacteria is processing it correctly. If you're going to QT the new fish, get that tank setup and running using the info I shared with you previously. In the mean time just let the display to it's thing. A couple weeks before you're ready to introduce those first fish is when it's time to address this again and get the display ready. If you have QT'd fish and are ready to go let us know.

BTW, with that sized system you will be able to add 4-6 fish easily right from the start when using Biospira. I've put four fish in a 20L at the same time for QT using Biospria. A trigger, Kole tang, Starry blenny and an anthia, I didn't have an ammonia spike. And I feed heavy in QT.

Ok, thank you for the polite kick!;) I got the QTset up this evening, I already have a hob filter. I already have the thermometer and an ammonia badge. Im cleaning it now, and will have it filled with salt water this evening. I will order the light tonight from amazon. I was getting a bit lazy and was thinking of bypassing qt! So thank you for getting me back on track. I may go out to Nemos tomorrow and see what he has, someone on here said he usually receives a shipment on wednesdays but I have to work so we will see. I also picked up a 3inch tee and a 3in 90 degree elbow.

I will update in about 3-4 weeks hopefully the fish are healthy and ready for their new home! Thank you Adam, and all of you guys for your help.

Qt set up, I have to double check the salinity once I get back home. My ammonia badge is in, thermometer in, pvc pieces in, and heater will go in later tonight. Im thinking a trip to nemos tomorrow for sure!

20190930_205816.jpg

The only other recommendation I have for the QT is see if you can find some pvc fittings in schedule 80. The only reason is because it's darker. When I QT'd the first batch of fish I found the white schedule 40 was so bright inside that the fish tended to be a little more stressed. So before the next batch I painted all the pieces black. That worked really good to start out but over time the paint started chipping off in places. If I were to paint again I would just do the inside of the fittings because there was virtually no chipped or flaked spots on the inside. That dark "Cave" is very calming for fish.

Oh, well... I lied. Another recommendation is to make some type of screened top for the QT. Even fish that aren't known jumpers will jump from time to time. I think most fish keepers have lost fish due to jumping. Buck the trend of thinking you'll be fine and put a screened top on all tanks. Not much a worse thing in this hobby than coming home to find a fish dead on the floor.

Tip regarding Nemo's. If there's not anything else not to love about the store. Simon keeps all of his systems at 1.025 specific gravity (33.3ppt), which is where I keep mine as well. This makes acclimation very easy and quick. You only need to drip the new fish for 20 minutes or so, just enough for the water in the bag to pH stabilize with the QT tank. When getting more than one fish at the same time I like to pour all the fish and the water into a decent sized square or rectangular container and remove enough water so there's only an inch or so of water above the fish then drip into it. Having corners makes it easier to net the fish. Another thing that works when doing just one fish is to have a round container sized right to hold the whole bag with room to drip. When ready to add the fish just pour the water into a bucket through the net.
I don't even float the bags when I get fish from Simon. Not only do I live so close but after 20 minutes of dripping the temp is pretty close to the QT tank. If you're further away from him bring a cooler bag with you to transport the fish home with.

So exciting day, the wife and boys went out of town so I went fish shopping!!!

I ended up getting 5 fish midas blenny, diamond goby, 2 black snowflake clowns, and a long nose hawk fish. I know I may have to keep an eye on the hawk fish once I start adding corals. The goby is flipping crazy, he is super active and a hell of a jumper! All of the fish added are swimming around so far, the hawk fish is the least active one so im just keeping an extra eye on him but he is still moving around a bit.

The selection was good at nemos, but it was a lot better about a few weeks ago. If I were buying fish then, I would have went broke!

Thank you @anit77 i did as you recommended with the acclimation, cooler, and I just have egg crate on to right now I have to go to home depot this evening. I alreadu planned to have a screen top fit my dt for sure. I will also check for the sch 80 fittings, as I have white right now. I already had my salinity at 1.025 which was perfect, and dropped in the bio spira before going to the fish store this morning.

And Simon lived up to his reputation from here, he's a really nice guy and helpful.

20191001_164129.jpg
20191001_164120.jpg
20191001_143535.jpg
20191001_143532.jpg

Awesome! Yeah, Simon is great.

As for the hawk, they shouldn’t mess with corals as much as they will other inverts like shrimp.

As for acclimating; my advice is slightly different. I only drip acclimate for snails or other sensitive inverts; not corals nor fish. Fish get a 20 minute float, with a 50% water transfer one time.

Great advice on the schedule 80 pvc. I haven’t used it, but I’d buy that the dark color will help fish feel more secure.

Back