Coralline problem

barnaclejoe

Reaction score
In the marine aquatic world coralline is a thing of beauty, but with many freshwater enthusiast it can be a problem. What is out there that will help me remove it without scratching the tank walls?

I like to use a stiff bristle nylon brush to knock everything loose off the sides and shop vac all of that stuff out. Then fill it with water and add citric acid. It takes a lot more citric acid than you'd think but it'll pretty much dissolve it all away. What's left can easily be removed with light scraping. The final step is to take a magic eraser (unscented) and wipe all surfaces to remove whatever haze might be left. I know @Adam has been doing this a lot recently and he might have a bit more info but that's the route I've gone in the past.

I like to use a stiff bristle nylon brush to knock everything loose off the sides and shop vac all of that stuff out. Then fill it with water and add citric acid. It takes a lot more citric acid than you'd think but it'll pretty much dissolve it all away. What's left can easily be removed with light scraping. The final step is to take a magic eraser (unscented) and wipe all surfaces to remove whatever haze might be left. I know @Adam has been doing this a lot recently and he might have a bit more info but that's the route I've gone in the past.
Thanks

That pretty much covers it.

If you only add a couple gallons of water to the tank and then add some citric acid you won't need as much. Then with gloves on wipe the surfaces down with a rag.

You can also use a razor blade on the glass to get the stubborn stuff off. Just take care around the silicone. Obviously don't do that if it's an acrylic tank.

Yup! Citric acid is better (or vinegar). And it will help to just let it sit and soak in.

Back