Cardinal breeding

Day 34: Everyone is doing well except the runt 🙁 he started getting picked on so he is now separated in his own container. He is doing better than last night but it’s a 50/50 chance he will make it. No one wanted to comply for a group photo so you’ll have to settle for some individual photos.
4B39488F-638F-46DB-9233-DDF6AC376BF7.jpegF13F3522-63C5-4F0D-B600-441A35EC945D.jpeg

Day 36: Moved everyone but the runt to their divided portion of the tank their fry tank was attached too. In doing so I was able to finally get an accurate count of everyone….drum roll please…. Including the runt……grand total is….51! 😱

Day 37: Unfortunately we lost the runt 🙁 he was eating just never developed like everyone else. I don’t think there was anything different we could have done. Everyone else seems to be doing fine in their new home.

Sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose any fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day 44: Tragedy has struck the fry tank 😭 saw something was wrong with one fry then next thing we know 4 more went down. Went into action and noticed the water felt warm and heater was on and not switching off; it was 82° after a water change. We unplugged the heater but unfortunately we lost 6 fry already. Everyone else seems to be ok and it’s been 5 hours since this started so 🤞🏻 Hopefully we don’t loose anymore.

Man, it’s always something in this hobby. Good catch and quick reaction to save the rest.

Day 46: and then there were 42 😭 lost 2 more last night I’m guessing from not recovering from the heater issue. We are officially at a 25% loss which considering we had 56 to start with isn’t bad but still 😭😭😭 crossing my fingers that no one else goes down hill. 94573AD3-676F-47DD-B032-7FCC85F3CBF0.jpegBFB791AA-992E-4127-96BA-1CFAC486F5F3.jpeg

Day 72: It’s been awhile since I did an update but here it goes… we lost a good portion of the Cardinals to the heater incident. Currently it looks like we are down to only 21 fry 😭. It sucks but we’ve made some mistakes and we will know what to do the next go around. Our male has put weight back on and we will move him back in with the female after Christmas and things settle back down. It is our first batch of fry so it was a learning experience for sure. We are going to do a different set up next round and see how they next batch does. They are still to small to sell still but at least they are starting to eat frozen food. 9FD0253C-E764-482C-ACE7-1BA396D427C2.jpeg

Wow!!! Super cool!! I would love to get some from you. I always wanted some Banngai.

Put me down for a few of these guys when they are ready. I'm all about getting some local raised guys, they'll go well with my clowns from Cook.

Day 124: It’s been awhile since I updated and we only had 10 make it to go onto their new homes. I have a list of people interested and will be/have started contacting those people in order of their interest. For those that weren’t able to get one this time don’t worry the male is carrying eggs again. 🥳 I’ll try to get updated pictures before we deliver them to their new owners. They are eating small pellets now and have created their own hierarchy so it’s time for them to go and me to get our isolation tank back for the time being.

Back