Bleach to clean a plastic drum

RadiatedReef

Supporting
Reaction score
So long story short, I’ve had a plastic 55g drum that I used maybe 2-3 times to mix up some hydroponic nutrients for my old garden and then it sat. It had some dust and such in it but no liquid so I washed it out with water and bleach, then gave it all a good scrub.

Im setting this up to be used as my new RODI water holder for my new water station I’m setting up.

Question is, what do I need to do other than rinsing it out (which I did) to make it good to go to hold the RODI water? Barrel is food grade and only held syrup for Mountain Dew years ago.

Sodium hypochlorite, bleach, breaks down pretty damn fast. It's was it just plain bleach or one surfactants and sents. If you rinsed while scrubbing the walls and set it out in the sun for a day you will be fine.

Sodium hypochlorite, bleach, breaks down pretty damn fast. It's was it just plain bleach or one surfactants and sents. If you rinsed while scrubbing the walls and set it out in the sun for a day you will be fine.
Just off brand concentrated bleach, no scent or other additives. I’ve seen some people say put water in it and add prime the rinse it all out.

I’ll throw it in the sun tomorrow for sure.

FWIW, liquid pool chlorine is the best value for us. Pure 10% sodium hypocholrite, a true gallon and lower cost than the 6%, less than a gallon jug you get at the grocery store.

Oh very cool. I’ll have to keep that in mind when I re-set up my hydro system and use it to clean all the pipes and such for sure

Back