Anyone seen any Fiji Yellow Leathers lately?

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
Looking for a piece of this for my upcoming project. I know it sort of disappeared when Fiji/Indo did bans a few years back, and I haven't seen anyone here selling in a long long time.

Once common in the trade, fiji yellow is one of the few bright yellow leathers and looks amazing in a softie tank. I imagine you could make a killing if you raised propagated these guys. No one seems to sell them any more. Most retailers I see are out of stock and have been for a while now.

Too funny that I just experimented and cut up a stalk. Planning to sew to rocks today and hope for healing over next few weeks. Willing to part with a piece now if you’re interested. Ive never done this before, but decided to try!

Recent picture of my mother colony for reference, purchased several years ago from Pure Reef. She’s not bright yellow, but is always beautiful in appearance. My experiment was to see if I could return her whole stalk to yellow since she has darkened with age, probably picking up zooxanthellae from other areas of the tank.

Redsea 90LED - reef lighting
House natural lighting

Attachments

• IMG_9600.jpeg
    IMG_9600.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9604.jpeg
    IMG_9604.jpeg
    438.2 KB · Views: 27
Recent picture of my mother colony for reference, purchased several years ago from Pure Reef. She’s not bright yellow, but is always beautiful in appearance. My experiment was to see if I could return her whole stalk to yellow since she has darkened with age, probably picking up zooxanthellae from other areas of the tank.

Redsea 90LED - reef lighting
House natural lighting

Ive read that they need higher par for a brighter yellow…

I've read that you wanna shoot for 300+ par to get the maximum color out of these. I've never owned one so I can't say for certain, but my other toadstools love high PAR :)

Sounds like I need to measure my PAR. Leather sits directly under my Redsea 90LED, but it’s mid tank and with no obstruction. The brighter yellow remains on the shaded underside for me.

Sounds like I need to measure my PAR. Leather sits directly under my Redsea 90LED, but it’s mid tank and with no obstruction. The brighter yellow remains on the shaded underside for me.
So interesting! Maybe once your frags heal you can place one higher up and see what happens, and then report back to us on the discovery :)

Back