Aiptasia In my tank.

Givmeanf

Supporting
Reaction score
I found aiptasia in my tank, I thought I should find out something about them.
So here is a great page of info.

I get it. I don’t want weeds in my garden.
I took three that were growing on extra hermit crab shells out and have them in a separate tank. Watching them.
I found another one on a frag base and destroyed it (outside the tank). One was growing on the rock. Tiny as can be. Had those tentacles just a flapping in the flow, happy as a clam.
After reading I decided on hydrogen peroxide, but didn’t know exactly how to administer it. That’s were the MacGyver in me came out.
I took a Q-tip cut one end off. Then three different diameters of plastic tubing and made the contraption you see in the pix, I soaked the Q-tip in hydrogen peroxide for a minute. The cotton tip retracts into the largest diameter plastic tube. My thought was to contain the hydrogen peroxide in the cotton tip when it went under water. I pressed the cotton tip into the aiptasia and held it there for a minute. It works with one hand, easypeasy.
Now I wait and see who won this battle.

Attachments

• IMG_2704.jpeg
    IMG_2704.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2697.jpeg
    IMG_2697.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2702.jpeg
    IMG_2702.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 19
Well, harsher chemicals have not prevailed sooo…….I’m gonna give you an f!!!! I can’t help myself, sorry. I hope it worked for you.

My peppermint shrimp eats them - do you have one of those? Apparently not all do, ReefShac sold me one that had already acquired the taste. Keeps him entertained too which is a plus

Sodium hydroxide will kill them but you have to be careful of O.D. And surrounding corals. I use it on the big ones. I have berghia also for a month now and I’m not sure I’m seeing results but they require patience. Also, if you have wrasses and most shrimp your berhgia are doomed. The more predators the more likely they will be a meal instead of having one of aiptasia.

For my minor outbreak, I went the peppermint shrimp route and they eradicated in a matter of days.

Everyone has them - reefshac spend the time to check their belly’s and make sure they are aptasia eaters. Premier and southern has them too when I was there this past weekend. Best call ahead if neither are close

Reactions: NAS
UPDATE:
In the long term, two treatments and waiting for weeks, watching and the thing weathered and disappeared.
Now, there could be a number of reasons for the disappearance. I have an urchin that can remove chrome from a car bumper, he could have done it out of spite.
There are a couple others now. I will treat them the same way and we will see what happens to them.

Back