WWC Bob Marley

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
So I’ve had this little guy since Sunday and he’s still closed up tight. I think he may have opened up just a teeny tiny bit yesterday because I could see a spot of color in the polyps but it hasn’t opened up more than a couple of millimeters. Am I doing something wrong? The blue only light is on from 7am - 10pm ish. Have good flow. I did have him on the bottom shelf of the rack but moved him up. It is a 23” tall tank, cheap led (white channel or blue but not both at once). Everyone else in there seems happy. pH 8.3, salinity 1.026, ammonia 0, nitrates 5-10 ppm.

sorry my iPad doesn’t take the greatest pics. Turned on the white light for better clarity. First pic is all the frags, 2nd one is a close up of the one I’m wondering about.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
Sometimes they just be like that when they get moved. I wouldn't be worried about them until it's been weeks, or they begin melting away.

Even then, I've learned that if everything else is thriving and happy, then I shouldn't worry about it. To be fair: I still do (see my recent post about a rainbow monti), but I'm learning to chill out on the corals I have, because I don't have anything super rare or super expensive.

Fish are a different story for me. I freaked out last week when I thought I saw ich on my foxface and setup the QT. Went away in a few hours and haven't seen it since. WHEW.

There’s a lot of particulate on that frag that might be irritating the coral. I’d take a turkey baster and lightly blow off that detritus off of it.

There’s a lot of particulate on that frag that might be irritating the coral. I’d take a turkey baster and lightly blow off that detritus off of it.
Ok yes...I dipped all.of them in Bayer, blasted them with turkey baster and brushed them with toothbrush, 2 separate rinses but when I put them into the QT I still saw stuff on them!

I was thinking of re dipping some of them this weekend and trying to get more stuff off. Other than dips is there any treatment that can be added to the water?

Ok yes...I dipped all.of them in Bayer, blasted them with turkey baster and brushed them with toothbrush, 2 separate rinses but when I put them into the QT I still saw stuff on them!

I was thinking of re dipping some of them this weekend and trying to get more stuff off. Other than dips is there any treatment that can be added to the water?
I wouldn’t dip again with a good reason to. Bayer isn’t something I use on softies unless I SEE pests. It’s super strong. You can manually pick off that stuff or leave it and see. I’ve had zoas not open for days then suddenly are fine. I’ve had zoas that are fine not open for a week then be fine again. They’re interesting creatures.

I must've watched a minimum of 10 dipping videos, they all said Bayer with iodine and hydrogen peroxide for special circumstances like injuries. Even some folks on here said Bayer when I asked. Well, I heavily diluted it so I dont think it was that strong of a dip but I won't use it again. I bought a Seachem iodine based dip from Classic City,I will use that and/or hydrogen peroxide from now on.
As always thanks so much for your help!! I want everything I bring home to thrive and do well.

I must've watched a minimum of 10 dipping videos, they all said Bayer with iodine and hydrogen peroxide for special circumstances like injuries. Even some folks on here said Bayer when I asked. Well, I heavily diluted it so I dont think it was that strong of a dip but I won't use it again. I bought a Seachem iodine based dip from Classic City,I will use that and/or hydrogen peroxide from now on.
As always thanks so much for your help!! I want everything I bring home to thrive and do well.
I’m not at all saying Bayer is wrong. All I’m saying is that I don’t dip softies in it without reason. Each Reefer is different and has different methods. I’m just saying what mine are :p

i ususally just dip coral with revive... then if there is something that i see and its not coming off then i go to bayer... i just feel like bayer is like the most harsh of the dips... but it gets everything off.... but if you have a qt also i would just do something lighter first and then if you see something on it that you dont like then go to the bayer.... thats the way i do it atm.... but you know im still fairly new lol

Going back to our discussion of risk tolerances... I don't really dip frags I get from members here.

Not to say these guys don't have things in their tank that I don't want in mine, but for the most part I'm just trying to avoid fish pests. It's a low chance that fish pests will attach directly to corals, but may be on the frag plugs or skeleton. With corals overall, I feel it's pretty easy to make an assessment of the members' tank health.

Personally speaking, it's a visual inspection of the frag, pull it off the plug if possible, then a small brush on the bottom (where the glue was) and a bunch of rinses from tank water. I'm a bit rough with them. I *want* the hitchhikers from other members, like that tiny brittle star I should have snagged out of Jin's tank...

I don’t
Going back to our discussion of risk tolerances... I don't really dip frags I get from members here.

Not to say these guys don't have things in their tank that I don't want in mine, but for the most part I'm just trying to avoid fish pests. It's a low chance that fish pests will attach directly to corals, but may be on the frag plugs or skeleton. With corals overall, I feel it's pretty easy to make an assessment of the members' tank health.

Personally speaking, it's a visual inspection of the frag, pull it off the plug if possible, then a small brush on the bottom (where the glue was) and a bunch of rinses from tank water. I'm a bit rough with them. I *want* the hitchhikers from other members, like that tiny brittle star I should have snagged out of Jin's tank...
want hitchhikers, I don’t want worms I can avoid. I won’t be able to start over if it all gets wiped out. My risk tolerance is fairly low although I realize there IS risk and no matter how hard I try I will never be able to avoid everything.

Back