whitmanb 120g rebuild

whitmanb

Supporting
Reaction score
So I thought I would post something about my tank as this basically is a rebuild of my original tank that I took down 5 years ago. My wife got me back into the club and had me set my 120 back up!

So this is a 120 Tall 60x24x18. I have 2 Radion XR30 Pros along with 4 T5 lights. Sump - 40gal breeder with MRC-2 skimmer, DIY Phosphate reactor and GEOREEF Calcium Reactor as well as a refugium. Since the tank was so narrow, I built a reef wall using black egg crate and zip-tied the rock to the crate, to give more room. I used SmartPond Foam sealant (Black foam) with sand coated over it, to fill in the gaps and make it look like a solid wall. 1/4 holes were drilled throughout the rocks to give me places to anchor frags or small rocks with rods. (Probably should have double checked the holes, as a lot were drilled too little to be useful :confused2:)

To get the tank reestablished from the dead rock, I did the following:
Gal of nitrifying bacteria from DFS
Coraline Algae seed from Ebay
Tigriopus californicus pods from Algaegen
Cheato from ARC member
PurpleUp

This took about 1 month before I began to see the cycling start. It took 3 weeks to complete and I was able to begin placing corals into the tank after this period.

One change I made this time around from last was that I went from ALL SPS to LPS. I fell in love with the chalices and acan lords, where I probably went overboard on purchasing frags! Especially the rainbows! I now have gone towards a mixed reef and purchased a PAR meter to ensure proper growth.

Here is a pic of the tank as it is today! The frags are mostly 1 month old and probably have about 80 different frags or will have within this week when the rest arrive. Once they mature a little more, I will look at placing them in particular spots in the tank for maximum growth.

My plan is to also frag out half and put in my "Backup tank" in case I have a tank crash which happened before :sad: as well as my wife's Nano tank.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1114761=70422-Tank 1a.jpg
>
1114761=70422-Tank 1a.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 1a.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1114761=70423-Tank 2.jpg
>
1114761=70423-Tank 2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Cool back wall, that will look great when corals grow on it!

Back