What's the smallest largest tank?

jamos5790

Supporting
Reaction score
Ok so I have a 65 gal AIO and I love it. My wife likes it also but everytime we go to the LFS she is "oh I like this fish or ooh look at that!" I'm always like we can't buy those because our tank is too small.

So now she wants to know what tank is the smallest tank that can hold the fish she wants.
Some of the fish that I remember her saying she liked are:
Queen Angel
Lemon peel angel
Tangs (hippo, purple, and orange shoulder)

So I was thinking 120 but not sure if that is long enough.

TIA

180 is probably the smallest big tank I would personally recommend. At 6ft it can handle a good percentage of the fish you’ll find except for those capable of xl sizes if not overcrowded. 180s are also easier “big” tanks to find.

I had a Queen & Emperor in a custom150 that was 6 feet long. That’s the smallest tank I would recommend. A 4 foot tank doesn’t give large angels sufficient swim room, imo.

You should be looking at footprint size more than gallons. Minimum tank dimensions for what you have listed would be 60l*24d*18h. With very open rockwork.

If you are limited to 48" wide you might look into something with a footprint of 48"*36".

Ok so I have a 65 gal AIO and I love it. My wife likes it also but everytime we go to the LFS she is "oh I like this fish or ooh look at that!" I'm always like we can't buy those because our tank is too small.

So now she wants to know what tank is the smallest tank that can hold the fish she wants.
Some of the fish that I remember her saying she liked are:
Queen Angel
Lemon peel angel
Tangs (hippo, purple, and orange shoulder)

So I was thinking 120 but not sure if that is long enough.

TIA
The large angels look ridiculous fill size even 400+ gallon tank. They are REALLY big fish. Same with the larger tangs.

We have zebramossas in our 6' 200 gallon as the biggest fish.

Many of the online sites like Liveaquaria have min tank info. Which states a 250 gallon for a Queen Angle.

That being said it does not mean you can have multiples of very large fish in there. Two might be ok but 3 or 4 1' to 1.5 foot fish in a 6'x2' footprint isn't going to work.
My recommendation is to start with "What is the largest tank we are comfortable with in our house?". Then look for not only the size of the fish you can successfully house in that tank but also the temperament of the types of fish.

I highly recommend this book.

Back