What Are Your Fun Contest Ideas? (Free Stuff)

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
I’m donating ~3,500g of Instant Ocean salt to the ARC, and would like your ideas for cool new contests!

Backstory: Here’s the scoop! A previous project at work was using tons of (purple box) Instant Ocean salt. This project has since completed, and all of the salt buckets have been sitting outside for over a year. My coworker, who is in charge of clean-up, remembered that I had a big aquarium and asked if I would like to keep the salt rather than having it thrown out.

After inspecting the salt, I determined most of it was unsalvageable. However, I was able to pick up a good amount that were fully sealed, with no cracks or damage. But now I have a little problem; what am I going to do with ~3,500g of salt (plus a couple dozen identical reefing shirts)? The solution: I’m going to donate it to ARC supporters and members like you, spread out over the next few months.

What do I need from you?
I believe that raffles, contests, and fun competitions are the best way to help ARC grow and continue to be a fun environment for existing and future members. And while I have a bunch of great ideas, I’m confident y’all can provide much more. I’d love to hear your ideas for different contests! So tell me; what fun things would you like to see on here?

What’s the catch?
1) This is the purple box Instant Ocean salt. As such, it is lacking the essential minerals needed for long-term established reef aquariums. However, it is great for setting up and cycling new reef tanks, quarantine and medication systems, fish only aquariums, or to have as a back-up salt.
2) I suspect all the shirts are size XL.
3) These boxes and buckets were sitting outside for over a year, and the direct sunlight has made the packaging brittle and sun-bleached from UV exposure. This is the cause for most of the boxes/buckets being unsalvageable. Transport this salt with a little care and don’t bang the buckets around too much. I’ve opened a couple, and the insides are pristine.

I look forward to hearing your ideas! And hit ‘like’ on any of other’s ideas that you also support (I have a lot of salt).

And hey; It’s free stuff!

No ideas as I’m new to the hobby but if you’d like to sell one at a reasonable price I could really use one to cycle my new talk

A before and after coral growth picture contest? Caption this photo contest or funniest picture/caption?

My favorite congrats were who could do the best write up or walk through tutorial. They gave everyone a fairly equal chance to enter because everyone at all levels always has a project going on. It also creates content that can be helpful for years to come!

I think the best DIY project contest would be fun and very helpful to the hobby. I've seen some crazy things out there like DIY large scale skimmers, auto water changers, mixers, even DIY neptune systems. As for the rules I guess it would have to be a sustainable build, not just something you do once for a video and then throw in your basement or attic.

blindfolded fish drawing art competition
referral contest for more friends/members to join
that crazy hot hottest pepper chip thing eating contest
arc card in strange/cool places picture taking contest
biggest fish in tank contest
biggest coral in tank contest
biggest tank contest
youngest reefer actively doing things themselves

Back