What are these things?

chemaholic

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I was about to head to bed and I noticed all these time black specks hopping around on the sand near the front glass. They are creepy little buggers but I need to know if they are dangerous or not. I am attaching some pictures. They seem to be staying around my nassarius snails mostly. They remind me of fleas. The pictures suck. The critters look like little black specks but when you zoom in they look like they have a long trunk or tail. They almost look like tiny tadpoles.

Attachments

• 20221130_010135.jpg
    20221130_010135.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20221130_010133.jpg
    20221130_010133.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20221130_010139.jpg
    20221130_010139.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 66
Huh. That's a new one on me. Please let u know if you figure it out. I see what looks like a flatworm (center) and two chitons (bottom left, bottom center). I can see the black dots but can't make out what the heck they might be. It's possible the 'chitons' are limpets but I've been noticing a lot more tanks with these small white chitons. I've found a few in my systems and it's a fairly recent development. That black things? I'm stumped.

If you've got some time, I'm sure there's mention of them on Wet Web Media but it takes a lot of digging around. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

Yeah my tank has tons of chitons. I did not even see the flat worm. I will as my wife to take a sample of them to the school and put them under the microscope. If she can get some decent pictures I will post them. I guess at night all the wild stuff in the tank comes out to play.

You know, it may not be a flatworm. It almost looks like a small limpet now that I check it out. Usually a flatworm will be a consistent color until the center or "gut" of the thing. It also usually has a "U" shape on one end. The critter I've been looking at and calling a flatworm has a cream center and then a consistent different color all around it - like a limpet would. Unless there's something else I'm not seeing or focusing on, I think it's a limpet.

Huh. That's a new one on me. Please let u know if you figure it out. I see what looks like a flatworm (center) and two chitons (bottom left, bottom center). I can see the black dots but can't make out what the heck they might be. It's possible the 'chitons' are limpets but I've been noticing a lot more tanks with these small white chitons. I've found a few in my systems and it's a fairly recent development. That black things? I'm stumped.

If you've got some time, I'm sure there's mention of them on Wet Web Media but it takes a lot of digging around. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm
Before I click "OK".
What is the download APP they want to install on my computer?
And what is it they are wanting to put on my Favorites Bar?

Back