Weird mini mushroom cup looking thing

That is a first for me too. I've got no idea what that is but I'd love to see some clearer pics of it with a brown or orange filter if possible. Maybe some odd sort of hydroid or something?

Here it is with full whites and turned around for a better look. It's pretty small so this is the best I can get with this phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20230413_232457.jpg
    IMG_20230413_232457.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230413_232508.jpg
    IMG_20230413_232508.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 32
I think I found it. Looks like some kind of umbrella algae.

"Typically found in subtropical waters, Acetabularia is a single-celled organism, but gigantic in size and complex in form, making it an excellent model organism for studying cell biology."

Definitely gonna let it grow. I'm a big fan of weird things too. It's in a 4g pico tank that is my playground for neat little things that don't make the cut or are too risky for my display tank lol

I have good news and bad news. The bad news is the umbrella died. The good news is there are about 5 new stems popping up. What's weird is they're not growing on the rock. They seem to really like shells. Not on the clam this time, but on two different astrea snails! I'll post pics when the new umbrellas open up.

Back