Tank repair!

Jayo

Market
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Long time reader but never posted. Mods if you need to move this thread I understand.

Long story short I’ve come to wits end! I purchased 2 120 gallon tanks from this site second hand and both have cracked. Due to the size 60x18 1/4x 24 the stand is custom built and I’d like to keep the tank size. I’m looking for someone that can repair the tank using parts from both tanks and reseal, or if it’s easier, just replace the back glass on the better of the 2.

Grant it, I’ve spent a good amount of money so far but this is not something I’m comfortable doing myself and want it done right. If anyone can point me to a shop or person, please let me know

Jay

We're they cracked when you got them? Did they crack while on the same stand? I would try to figure out why they cracked.
No, not the sellers fault for the most part. The first one had a cracked frame on the top. I tried to fab up a brace and the front bowed and cracked. The second one had a nick in the right rear corner so it cracked where the nick was into an L shape.

I tried to get a replacement frame for the first one but due to the thickness of the glass (Older Perfecto tank) none of the available frames would work.

And the second one. You can see where the nick is as apposed to the crack.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 27
It's hard to see from the photo but are you leak testing these outside on a wooden deck? I think the reflection may just be window blinds. I ask because as you add water you want the bottom of the tank evenly supported all the way across. A 120g glass tank is going to be just over 1,000lbs when full of water. If the surface it's sitting on has a peak, dip etc. all that weight can cause issues.

Last edited:
It's hard to see from the photo but are you leak testing these outside on a wooden deck?
This was actually the tank I bought from you. And I leaked tested on a level ground outside on my back slab. Tank was fine until I painted the back and allowed it to dry overnight. Cracked right where the nick was on the front corner when you had it, I just reversed it to the back so it wouldn’t be as noticeable.

This was actually the tank I bought from you. And I leaked tested on a level ground outside on my back slab. Tank was fine until I painted the back and allowed it to dry overnight. Cracked right where the nick was on the front corner when you had it, I just reversed it to the back so it wouldn’t be as noticeable.
Did they both crack right after painting or any similar action with both tanks? It had that corner chip when we bought it and held water fine for the 3.5 years it was running until it was picked up the other day.

No, the other cracked in the front, yours cracked in the rear. So one painted, one not. And to be clear I’m not blaming you at all, the stand alone was worth what I paid. This was just a freak accident I’m sure.

No, the other cracked in the front, yours cracked in the rear. So one painted, one not. And to be clear I’m not blaming you at all, the stand alone was worth what I paid. This was just a freak accident I’m sure.
Gotcha. Not sure why it would be fine after the leak test then crack while the paint was drying. If you decided to go with a drilled tank as an alternative, you could probably mod that stand top for a corner overflow like we did with our frag tank stand.

Gotcha. Not sure why it would be fine after the leak test then crack while the paint was drying. If you decided to go with a drilled tank as an alternative, you could probably mod that stand top for a corner overflow like we did with our frag tank stand.
I’d be willing to do that if someone can point me in the direction of one with the same foot print. This stand is bad arse and I want to keep it, you did a damn good job on the build.

Replacing a pane on a tank is questionable in my mind. I know there a people that have done it and hopefully someone will pop in and offer to help.

The seam has to be done right and I would not trust myself to do it. If an area of the seam fails near the bottom you're looking at 90ish gallons of saltwater on the floor.

120 gallon is a standard size, 2'×4'. Rit at Atlanta Aquarium can get you one I'm sure, reef ready or undrilled..
Edit: just saw your stand dimensions, you must not have 120s. here are options with that footprint 100, 125H or 135 depnding on height. Rit can still get you one, he ordered my 110 gallon, it didn't take long to get.Screenshot_20220622-222834_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Steve,

It’s an older tank so the thickness is a little larger. The 60x18x24 is what I need. Any idea on price?

Back