St. Croix

stacy22

Market
Reaction score
Greer and I are going to St. Croix next month for vacation. I have never been there before. We are staying at the Palms Resort and there is suppose to be decent snorkeling right off the beach.

Any tips for diving or snorkeling on St. Croix? Restaurants, attractions we need to visit?

I went on a business trip 2 years ago for 10 days in the Caribbean and visited and stayed on the St. Croix, St Thomas Islands. We had allot of FREE time while in St. Croix, we stayed at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa. It's on the same side of the Island as the Palms resort. The water was extremely blue clear and the snorkeling was fantastic.

There's a cliff or Rim about 100 -150 yards out from the beach and it absolutely the coolest thing to see. We seen lots of Caribbean fish, sting rays and some large barracudas. While in St. Thomas, we were informed that the scuba diving and snorkeling is awesome on the St. Johns Island. We were going to take a ferry over to St. johns but we never did. Enjoy your trip!!

I haven't spent much time on St. Croix however I have spent the last 4 week vacations with my parents and their newly owned retirement home on St. Thomas. From what I've gathered so far is St. Croix is St. Thomas but better due to less civilization. If that's the case expect snorkeling to be spectacular off any beach. Where ever you are at I guarantee you'll see more than one turtle, large ray and a few barracuda a day. Along with a plethora of sea and reef life. If your up for a charter there's a nature preserve area that is fantastic. Expect to see a nurse shark patrolling the area, just under 5 ft. Seen her on three different occasions.

Oh and I'd recommend chartering to the BVI to see Jost Van Dyke while your there.... go with a will to have a few drinks, mingle and have a good time.

There's literally thousands of areas to dive that are some of the best I've ever done. Book these based on skill and interest.

I was there a couple years ago. Look up N2 the Blue Divers in Fredericksted. Definitely dive the Fredericksted pier with them. We also did several boat dives with them that were great. You'll see frog fish, sea horses and octopus, even on the daytime dive. The Frediericksted side of the island is almost alway glass calm. The shore dive at Cane Bay is great, and the restaurant across the road next to the dive shop is excellent. We left it for our last day, but would have loved to do it again if we had the chance. The Nature Conservancy has a big preserve at the east end of the island that makes for a really nice walk along an undeveloped bay, and the snorkeling in the bay is really nice. On one evening snorkel off our resort (Tamarind Reef) we saw 4 or 5 eagle rays, several turtles, an octopus, and literally a hundred lobsters. There were 12 under one ledge.

Back