Lost a head of frogspawn over the weekend?

Hunna

Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
So, I went to Birmingham this past weekend to visit family and for a mini vacation away from the wife and baby. Thursday evening, I did a water change as usual and prepared the tank for me to be gone for a few days. Friday, I got home from work early, ran by the house to gather my things before heading out, and checked the tank again one last time. Everything looked fine, did a slightly larger feeding than normal since I’d be gone until Sunday, then headed out.

My in-laws were over at the house a few hours on Saturday with my daughter since she had a music lesson only a few minutes from our place. Otherwise, no one was in the house or could have messed with it. What’s weird, is that it’s only 1 head out of like 6 on just one frag. All other euphyllia are fine in the tank. I checked the flesh bands, they all are healthy and there are no flatworms anywhere (battled those for a while and haven’t seen any in months now). The last time I did a thorough check a few weeks ago, almost every head was working on splitting except this one. My NY Knicks torch is going from 1-4 or 5 heads currently.

I’m really at a loss as to what could cause just a single head to completely disappear over ~60 hour period. Any thoughts? I took this picture this morning before my lights come on and everything around it looks perfectly healthy?

73184702-4E1E-43E4-BAC5-9C38DB19F974.jpeg

i dont want to say its common. but over the years collecting euphyllia it happens with torches and hammers

i dont want to say its common. but over the years collecting euphyllia it happens with torches and hammers
All places I’ve posted, no one seems to have an answer. If it was parameters/flow/lighting/etc it would be effecting all of my euphyllia. At least that particular stalk, bare minimum. But every head around it is perfectly fine.

Should I frag this stalk up and makes 2 separates ones while also cutting the dead head off? Only cut the dead head off?

If it makes u feel better. I got over 100 frogspawn. And it happens. It happens with torches also. I dont think id freak out over it. But if you want another one lmk ill give u some. I got several of the exact ones

I agree with @chuck - it just happens sometimes. If you need definitive answers for everything - this is not the hobby for you ;)
If everything looks clean and there is no gunk in the stem...I would leave it alone.

If it makes u feel better. I got over 100 frogspawn. And it happens. It happens with torches also. I dont think id freak out over it. But if you want another one lmk ill give u some. I got several of the exact ones
Appreciate it! I wouldn’t say I’m freaking out, as much as I’m curious. Like I said, literally every other head of my euphyllia is actively splitting from 1 to 3-5 heads, except for this one that just died almost over night.

Its happened to me several time for no reason. And several other people. But if u figure it out lmk

I bought one head of basic plain purple torch from a local pet shop a year ago it grew to over 10 heads , tremendous movement and growth, and then the night before I was going on vacation it had brown jelly disease , so I had to take it out chisel off the that part and put it back in the tank, and I came home it was all dead , hopefully it doesn’t spread to my other torches which it’s been a week so I don’t think so

I found out what’s been happening to my LPS. I’ve been battling algae so I’ve cut back on feeding. I guess my shrimp have cleaned out all the aptasia and we’re looking for another food source. Last night, I watched one of my peppermint shrimp just go to town on my micromusa. Looks like in total, I’ve lost 1 head of frogspawn, possibly 2 heads of my only octospawn, and 1 of the 2 heads of my micromusa. I’ll be pulling them (2) first thing tomorrow morning and returning them to premier. Pretty bummed out it took weeks and a couple of heads to figure out it was my shrimp doing it.

Back