Skimmer overflowing

Jordanny17

Reaction score
I use some coral cement and now the skimmer won’t stop overflowing since yesterday. Any idea what can i do? Or just leave it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of quick options.. Assuming this is in a sump.

Take the cup off and just let it run for a couple days, it will work itself out.

Do a water change, 10% will usually calm a skimmer down when it is doing what it is doing.

If you have a sump, just pop off the top let it run, it will start working shortly. You can look at the top of the foam and when you start to see some brown/yellowish then pop the skimmer cup back on. It may overflow a little bit more, but it will stop.

Couple of quick options.. Assuming this is in a sump.

Take the cup off and just let it run for a couple days, it will work itself out.

Do a water change, 10% will usually calm a skimmer down when it is doing what it is doing.

If you have a sump, just pop off the top let it run, it will start working shortly. You can look at the top of the foam and when you start to see some brown/yellowish then pop the skimmer cup back on. It may overflow a little bit more, but it will stop.

Thank you will try that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would do either of these, easy to difficult-
-dump the skimmer’s cup a few times/export
-use a reactor with activated carbon/export
-do a water change/export

Fwiw,
there are other physical & chemical ways to disrupt the micelle structure of foams, but they may have consequences for the creatures in our care. Including-
-Ultrasound
-anionic surfactants
-lower salinity/polarity
-change ambient pressure, etc.

Back