San Juan Puerto Rico

tgriffin

Market
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be going to San Juan in about 3 weeks and will have about 5 days down there. I'll just be sitting around so I thought I would try to go snorkeling. Has anyone gone down there and done this and if so are there any shallow reefs that would be good to see?

Thanks

Tyson

I lived there for 3 years. The best snorkeling I found was on the East side of the island around Fajardo.

Loquillo is a nice touristy beach area and you'll find some fish but little reef.

JeF4y;619745 wrote: I lived there for 3 years. The best snorkeling I found was on the East side of the island around Fajardo.

Loquillo is a nice touristy beach area and you'll find some fish but little reef.

That's what I found doing a quick google search. So not much of a reef around Fajardo??? How long of a drive is it from say the San Juan Intl Airport to Fajardo?

Thanks for the reply:up:

About an hour if I remeber correctly.... Decent reef, nothing compared to Hawaii or caymans but worth it if your down there and have time. When I was there I chartered with a company called "The Salty Dog" decent people and charter, would recommend them.

Understand this about Puerto Rico. 30 miles is not 30 minutes... LOL.. it'll take you about an hour to get from OSJ to Fajardo.

There may be some dive forums that can help you out, but from my snorkeling around the island, the only place I found corals & actual reef as well as fish, was around the East side of the island.

If you are looking for a great dinner spot try Marmalade in old san juan. Ive been there several times and it is my favorite restaurant in old san juan. As a starter try the tiny white bean soup with truffle oil...it is absolutely amazing, so is the donut dessert (forgot what they called it)...

gnashty;619779 wrote: Iso is the donut dessert (forgot what they called it)...
I think they call it a Buñuelo(pronounced boonyuellow)...it looks like a figure 8 doughnut with a sugary carmelized syrup.

Miami Dolfan;619796 wrote: I think they call it a Buñuelo(pronounced boonyuellow)...it looks like a figure 8 doughnut with a sugary carmelized syrup.

nah, its like little warm donut type balls with these different dipping purees and sauces...this isnt native to PR, just something they made...I know what you are talking about though

Without a doubt, the food is the best part of PR. Don't be afraid to buy meat cooking over pallets on the side of the road. It's freaking awesome. (just don't ask what it is... if it's good, order more. If not, don't. but never ask what it is...)

Well...... Just heard from the boss that we aren't sending both planes down there!! So much for my free vacation! Thx for the info though.

Back