Replacing rodi cartridge

anthony

Market
Reaction score
I just got my Ro/DI back from my brother inlaw.. I remember when I used to have it there were certain things I had to do when I change the carbon out. Some type of flush or something to keep the dust from the new one getting into the RO membrane. But I can't remember what that was anyone have any suggestions?

Yep. Flush it right after the carbon cartridge which is usually right before it gets to the membrane.

Yep. Flush it right after the carbon cartridge which is usually right before it gets to the membrane.
Mine only has a flush on the waste .. should I buy a "T" or something to put on it before going into the membrane?

For mines I have a T with 2 ball valves for this purpose. But you can actually do this without that by unhooking where the line goes into the membrane and just catching the water that way. This way the water goes through the cartilages and flushes the carbon.

If you are showing 1tds after di it's already too late. Membranes are cheap enough to change every 4-6 months depending on how much water you make. At 100 gallons a week waiting 2 years is a long time. The rodi is the foundation of the reef tank. With the amount of time and money in the tank...risking problems with an expired membrane are unnecessary to me. I run a heavy acro tank so the risk far outweighs any of the reward fwiw.

If you are showing 1tds after di it's already too late. Membranes are cheap enough to change every 4-6 months depending on how much water you make. At 100 gallons a week waiting 2 years is a long time. The rodi is the foundation of the reef tank. With the amount of time and money in the tank...risking problems with an expired membrane are unnecessary to me. I run a heavy acro tank so the risk far outweighs any of the reward fwiw.
Yes.. I only made about 100 gallons thru the system before selling it to him.. but he never used it just left it sitting in garage for about 1.5 years.. so it's only ever had 100 gallons total.. my concern was more to the fact that it sat for a while not being used..

Replacing everything is what I would do. It may be fine as is but not worth the risk IMO.

The membrane should last 3 years under normal use. The filters it really depends on the quality of your source water

Thanks guys for the information.. I know it sucks to have to replace them knowing they've been used very little before sitting for a long time but I don't want to cause issues either.. so it looks like I'm going take the advice given and just replace the cartridges...thanks again..

Back