Reef Moonshiner Method

If you are interested, there is about a 40 page book to read and the calculator is cool too just to check out. All that’s free. And there is a Facebook page with good info as well. “Reef moonshiners support group”

my first ICP test took around 3 weeks, but I had heard the lab was doing some changes so it’s typically a little faster, or you can ship direct to Germany and save another 5 days or so.

You send off ICP tests regularly in the beginning as your tank gets “corrected” then it’s just tests quarterly or so to keep check.

it’s rather simple actually and takes about 2 minutes to dose the daily stuff
i dose my maganesse in the morning and the rest in the evening

Here is a link to his site -

Thank you. I downloaded the handbook. I don’t have a giant system so probably don’t need anything this fancy but it is interesting reading. I’ve got two ICP tests here but I’ve not done one yet. Maybe I will try one

I was wrong about the size of the bottles... 500ml, not 200ml.

If anyone ends up doing this, check how much iron, cobalt,cromium, and manganese you need daily and hit me up and I’ll sell you some for cheap. Save yourself $80.
That is very kind of you

Update:

everything is doing really well so far. I’ve been using this method for about 2.5-3 months now and haven’t done one water change yet. I’ve sent in 2 ati icp tests and my water chemistry has been improving based on the calculator.

some adjustments I am working on are reducing tin... I dosed panta rhea panta linth and my run reduced down to acceptable levels after. Also removed my Kessil light holder that was in the water so that may have been the main fix. Increasing phosphate, previously had been 0 as checked on Hannah phosphorus ulr. Now phosphate is increased to .15 with no negatives to report, hope to improve color and growth.

daily I dose 4 drops of chromium, cobalt, iodine. 2 drops iron. And .6ml molybdenum. Just ordered validium, rhubidiumas I feel comfortable enough with the program to add in the final elements.

ive noticed solid growth on some acros, and some improved color but still think the tank is reaching for more improvement. Everything looks healthy for the most part and have had nothing die (previously had lots of issues with rtn/stn)

the only element almost depleted is fluoride, and everything else seems like it will last years before needing to restock. I imagine this will save me money in the long run vs water changes.

here is a tank shot and one coral which is a little bleached(thinking higher phos may help)

874E5211-BA9C-437C-80AA-9DC29E50D9B4.jpeg
A1BE8287-3453-4124-84A1-04FB25B50A88.jpeg
95C41E1F-C611-46A3-AB10-2CC89BD47453.jpeg

The frag was rotated about 180 degrees when it fell and I had to reattach. So you may think all the right side is new growth... however it still seems like solid growth and coloring up nicely

@Adam

I think it was originally made for bigger tanks. Like 300-400, so I think your cost is actually pretty similar to mine at around 100. The big upfront cost is around maybe $300 bucks, but the stuff doesn’t really go bad and I can see only needing a few things yearly. Each bottle is $20.

im currently dosing 5 things daily, and corrections based on icp tests. The daily stuff I’ll get years out of, my iron right now just needs one drop... .03/200ml = 6,666 days... wow...
I just started but can’t get calculation chart to let me type in my numbers to calculate dosing is the another app that will work on I pad

Anyone on the Reef Moonshiner program? I started about 2 weeks ago and it’s going well so far.

the basic principal is frequent ICP tests in the beginning to understand where any deficiencies are, and then make corrections with specific elements. It’s nice not having to worry about a blended product, that may raise a certain element higher/lower than desired.

Its pricy in the beginning, but some bottles, I’ll probably never use up... years worth considering I’m at like .03ml and each bottle is 200ml I believe. Though some of them like fluoride needed almost half a bottle to correct.

I’m seeing some growth and slight color enhancement, though I did get results that I have a pretty severe tin problem that hopefully I am working towards resolving.

Wondering what others think, or if anyone else is currently using this method. Andre (the guy who made the program) is really active in answering questions and seems to do his homework, though I think some of his results and reasoning behind certain elements can be more anicdotal (sp?) than based in hard truths... but reef tanks are hard to replicate in science... even BRS may struggle replicating 3 tanks and understanding a true change in a certain variable.
I just started this method but can’t get calculation chart to accept my info to know how much to does is there app that works for I pad

Search for the moonshiner group on Facebook. You might want to ask your question there. I know it was excel based for me, there is no app that I am aware of

Back