Preparation for power outages

Generators are inverters. Its a gas engine that turns an alternator that powers an inverter you plug into.

You can run a UPS between the generator and equipment which would keep it going while you got the generator running. That is actually what is usually done with the whole house generators to make up the few seconds it takes the generator to kick on and the switch to flip.

Also keep in mind your corals will be completely fine without light for up to 3 days as long as there is water movement and the temp doesnt go crazy.

If you have a low power availability (small inverter, or generator) all you really need is a fan/heater and a small power head or two to keep things alive for days.

Last time my power was out for more than 4 hours I just had my dart(closed loop) and LED's plugged into my generator because I was lazy and didnt feel like wiring everything up. 18 hours later it was like nothing happened.

Actually, most generators are straight alternators. There are some investor types but that is the exception not the norm. Either way you should be fine.

Makes perfect sense! I hope this thread is helping others as well as myself getting prepared for the possibility. These summers seem to be getting hotter and hotter each year. I won't get into why. Lol.

If someone does find themselves in a tough spot, I have a car inverter that anyone is welcome to borrow in an emergency.

Another question: does anyone have any thoughts on using one of these if so do they work?

My mom is 10 minutes from my house (in Acworth) and she lost power for 6 hours yesterday!

I've got an inverter, keep 5 to 10 gallons of gas + whats in the car, air stones and battery back up .

Still I'm so thankful it wasn't my house!

Power outage this morning (very early) for 2+ hours for no good reason. It's back now and everything's fine but it's not for lack of worrying. May have to head to Costco to get that UPC - and then take a nap.

my car comes with an inverter built-in. if i had to id run the powerhead and a boxfan over the sump.

1 power outage in 5 years at this house (knock on glass). lasted 1 hour.
a ups for the apex, internet, and powerheads is a more convenient option.

Back