Powerhead Decisions... Sicce Voyagers or Maxspect Gyre?

zachxlutz

Market
Reaction score
It's come time to look at upgrading the flow situation in my 120 gallon 4'x2'x2' tank and I'd kindly like to ask for your advice. Here's a link to my build thread if you'd like to peruse through before offering your advice: http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106109"> Zach's 120 Gallon Reef Resurgence</a>.

I'm planning on keeping a mix of softies, LPS, SPS... a nice mix of everything. Currently the tank is running two 1600 gph [IMG]https://www.amazon.com/SunSun-JVP-201B-Aquarium-Wavemaker-Powerhead/dp/B00DE1PEHQ">SunSun JVP-201B</a> powerheads (remnants of the past). They're working fine but my inclination is that they won't work well with my Reefkeeper Elite running them on a wavemaker timer as they tend to clatter and clank when I turn them on and off.

[B]Option A:[/B]

I've got the Reefkeeper, which has the ability to control powerheads as a wavemaker which opens up the possibility of using 2x Sicce Voyager 4s (1600 gph each) set up through the Reefkeeper on timers and the 2x SunSun powerheads running full time. This would give me a total of 6400 gph with all units on and around 4800 gph as the two Voyagers would likely run at opposing times in order to create more random flow.

Cost: Approximately $178.00

[B]Option B:[/B]

Continue to use the SunSun powerheads and add a Maxspect Gyre 230. This would give me a max flow rate of 5500 gph using all pumps and a minimum of 3200 gph as the gyre runs through it's scheduled flow pattern. I like this option due to the laminar flow that the gyre provides.

Cost: Approximately $290.00

[B]Option C:[/B]

Any other ideas?

[B]Final Thoughts:[/B]

I enjoy having new technology and adding the Maxspect with it's separate controller would be cool but also possibly open up the door to more complications as I'd be essentially adding another controller to the mix. The cost is a little higher and the flow is a little less, albeit laminar and different than the 2x Voyagers. The obtrusiveness of the Gyre seems like it'd be a little less than adding two of the big Sicce Voyager powerheads. Help! I just can't make up my mind.

I absolutely love Sicce power-heads. They push a ton of water and are some of the most reliable circulation pumps out on the market. But I would be looking into their new Xstream pumps as the voyagers are now outdated, bulky, and I believe being discontinued. The Xstream are lighter, smaller, and much more efficient. If you by locally you get an in-store 5 warranty on Sicce

I've personally not been very impressed with the Gyre pumps. They push a lot of water, but I feel a pair of good circulation pumps do better. I do stock the Maxspec Gyre pumps so I'm not just saying that because I carry a different product.

aXio;1098006 wrote: I absolutely love Sicce power-heads. The push a ton of water and are some of the most reliable circulation pumps out on the market. But I would be looking into their new Xstream pumps as the voyagers are now outdated, bulky, and I believe being discontinued. The Xstream are lighter, smaller, and much more efficient. If you by locally you get an in-store 5 warranty on Sicce

I've personally not been very impressed with the Gyre pumps. They push a lot of water, but I feel a pair of good circulation pumps do better.

Thanks for the information and quick reply. The Xstream looks nice and does look a bit more compact. Is the Xstream capable of handling on/off cycles to function as a wavemaker?

zachxlutz;1098007 wrote: Thanks for the information and quick reply. The Xstream looks nice and does look a bit more compact. Is the Xstream capable of handling on/off cycles to function as a wavemaker?

Yes it is. You can controller it with just about any wavemaker or controller.

I love the gyre and have had no problems with it. Although If you go that route the 150 is plenty of power for a 120g.

Back