Phosguard

tgriffin

Market
Reaction score
I read online that phosguard can be washed and reused? Is this correct? I have been using 1 cup running in a reactor at "a slow boil/simmer" and have been replacing it every 4 weeks? This is a 100 gal SPS tank. Would you suggest something different?

Thanks

Tyson

I wish I had more practical personal experience to offer however, I got this from the Seachem website.

In regards to Phosguard:
Phosphate is bound irreversibly and will not be
released...no phosphate remover can be regenerated by any safe
method in the home. Baking a phosphate remover, even to
over 900 F, will not remove any of the phosphate it contains.
PhosGuard™may be removed, dried, and reused, if it has
not exhausted.
Also there is Purigen
Regeneration: Purigen® can also be regenerated. As it adsorbs waste products, Purigen® will change color from a pale blonde to a dark brown, almost black. Once it is exhausted, it can be regenerated with a solution of bleach and water. The bleach will literally “burn off” the organics that have been removed from the tank. Watch out for products that claim to be regenerable with a brine solution. That is the regeneration procedure for ion-exchange purposes. A brine solution will not remove organics. While such resins have a limited capacity for organic adsorption, a brine regeneration process only replaces removed ionic compounds. It does not destroy large organic molecules that were removed, which is the primary function of organic adsorption resins.
I also would be curious if anyone has personal experience

I know and have done it with purigen but have always replaced
Phosgaurd... If seachem has instructions on how to recharge phosgaurd on the packaging I'm sure you're good to go, if not I would rebuy

JennM;769032 wrote: Purigen can be regenerated. Phosguard cannot.

Jenn

Thanks Jenn... I have read several of your posts that state that you use and have good results with Phosguard. Have you ever used Purigen? I'm trying to figure out which would be best to run for phosphate removal.

Yes, we use Phosguard routinely and we like it. It's safe, and predictable. Its purpose is to remove phosphates and silicates.

Purigen is more for organic waste removal. "Protein skimmer in a bag" they call it. So they do different things. We mainly use Purigen in the 100 ml bags in nano systems, but it can be used in any size of system.

So if your goal is phosphate removal, Phosguard is the product to use.

Jenn

Hey everyone, sorry to be late to the party :)

To answer your question TGriffin, there is no safe way to regenerate a product like Phosguard. From time to time, something will pop up online saying that it can be baked or regenerated in some other fashion but this is not the case. Once it is exhausted, it will need to be replaced.

Purigen, on the other hand, can be regenerated multiple times with household bleach. Jenn is correct though, these two products are designed for different purposes. Using both products though, can really help keep your water in great shape and result in a beautiful reef.

Back