Personal rant: What really grinds my gears...

Also to add to this, which I agree, is to keep a budget in mind and set realistic goals and expectations. Don't expect to be able to spend $1K but have a 150G full blown SPS tank that is fully automated.

+1 ^

You know what really grinds my gears in this hobby? Hobbyist claiming their opinion as if it is a fact or a need to be successful.

When I first started this hobby, I wanted to get LEDs, cause the idea of not having to change bulbs in T5s and heat from MH. I was told that if I don't get Radions, I wouldn't be able to grow corals or T5s & MH is the only proven lights to grow corals. What BS that was. I went with RapidLED Onyx for years and had amazing growth. I recall showing a reefer my current tank when I was running these lights and pretty much in disbelief and it was impossible because he couldn't get that kind of growth out of his radions. Cause he spent $800 a fixture and I spent $125 a fixture.
I actually started off by buying hydra 26's from Justin in Warner Robbins just to turn around and sale them to buy radions! My model was I just didn't want to buy things twice, that's one of the biggest reasons I jumped in head first! But I have been lucky to have a great buddy and you guys helping me along the way. But knowing what I do now, I probably would have went with other lights but can't complain because I was lucky enough to find some deals on most of them. I also know what to look for and how to find it if that makes sense.

Same goes with pumps, for years I was told Jebao wouldn't cut it and it would fry my tank and that MP40s were the way to go and better made. Years go by, I never had my Jebao give me issues luckily and yes there are some out there that fails, but MP40s having busted rusted magnets destroying people's tanks as well.
I run a vector l2 as my main return pump and a couple of mp 40's, but I use jebao for mixing station, back up, and a powerhead for qt and haven't had any trouble with them except for one I flooded the power supply when I forgot to turn off my rodi.

And not to bash anyone but this whole salt debate. Years ago, there wasn't the options there are today on salt and there are plenty of reefers out there now and then that have massive colonies grown using instant ocean. Heck, I have a friend that has an amazing tank using purely LFS water that I'm sure they're using the cheap instant ocean as well. People suggesting that you need to spend double or triple the amount on a bucket of salt as if anything else will compromise the future of their tank.

I get it, it worked for some of you and you can afford it. However, I recall when I was a new reefer and I was being told that I need to spend X amount of money if I want to have a successful tank, it becomes intimidating and some people don't even bother entering the hobby because of it.
I agree with this comment 200%, the initial numbers can be very intimidating especially for a newbie, or someone that may not have as much money to throw around, or just didn't know what to expect! I'm not judging at all, get it how you live. But as Jin stated, as a newbie you usually don't know where you can save by buying used. Unless you have someone totally guiding you all the way, you have to do it at least once to learn the process just my $.02. I have made the comment before I'm actually jealous of some of the tanks on here that guys do a lot of diy, I'm just not that guy unfortunately! They worked with their hands and a budget and made it work for them, and did a great job.

Then there are those that go and buy the newest and fanciest equipment to start their new system listening to all these advice thinking that since they did this that they would have a successful tank. Soon to find out that it's more than just the fanciest equipment, most expensive salt or whatever, and their tank starts to die off and they wonder where they went wrong cause they spent thousands on their setup. Next thing they know they're selling off their equipment and exiting the hobby.
I would fall in this category some what! I work a lot as a chef, so I have more money then time at times so I try to make the best of it. I also have been fortunate enough to have a very supportive wife on this journey with me and the kids also love it. With that being said I do have most of the newest gadgets not all though! I'm actually still dealing with losing my sticks that I got from Jesse for what ever reason, their succumb to stn but its a part of the process for me. Don't get me wrong, I don't like to lose any of my babies and that includes my corals but it's going to happen and hopefully I learn something from it. I actually have an ati-icp test kit on the way to see what's going on, thank god my euphyllia are looking great. And I was warned about starting with sticks but its what I like and I didn't dump a ton in the tank. I mention all of this because i do have some of the best equipment and not bragging at all, but I still have some issues going on so it proves your point. But I'm not selling, I think my wife would kill me from the lose!

It really annoys me because it feels like hobbyist needs to justify their spending on their newest fanciest equipment so they come on these public boards and pass off their opinions as a need or fact.
Some do, thats just some peoples nature or personality.

Then to top that all off, I will see some of these "successful" tanks because of their new apex or radions and its a tank of frags. People calling a frag with a few branches mini colonies these days and thinking they are a successful tank because they can grow a few branches.
So thats not mini colonies that Corn Bread is selling!!! rotflmao!!!

That's all... Just had to get it off my chest.

My advice to all reefers time and time again...
  • Stability is key. Whatever you do, keep things stable.
  • Don't look for quick fixes in a bottle. Last resort only.
  • Take each advice with a grain of salt and look for consistencies in these advice.

Don’t let it get to ya. It’s definitely a thing. I think it’s just been made more evident over
The last 15 years by social media and such.
Let um think they know it all:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is true for any hobby tho. Cars will have OEM carbon fiber parts vs replicas. Computers will have intel vs AMD. Guns will have custom vs add on parts. There will be those that like it a certain way and want everyone to do it that way lol.

Agree
This is true for any hobby tho. Cars will have OEM carbon fiber parts vs replicas. Computers will have intel vs AMD. Guns will have custom vs add on parts. There will be those that like it a certain way and want everyone to do it that way lol.

The scariest part of this hobby for me is that no matter how much money you invested, how much experience you have, or how religious you are with your maintenance, your tank can still crash. Sometimes there's an explanation....sometimes theres none.

Back