PAR Doesn't matter that much?

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
There's a lot that goes in to what PAR a specific type of coral seems to like. There's also a lot that goes in to exactly what PAR is but for the sake of my comments and reflections, let's just go with PAR being the amount or intensity of light that our tank inhabitants are receiving. ARC owns 2 PAR meters and I have had the privilege of taking quit a few measurements in fellow member's setups. One thing that I keep thinking is that PAR doesn't matter nearly as much as I used to think it did. Obviously there has to be some pretty intense light to grow corals but for a long time I focused on PAR as the main reason I was limited in what I could grow.

Over and over again I've taken reading that I would have otherwise though impossible. For example, one member had a clam at the very bottom of his tank and the reading was 80-90 PAR. I assumed it was a fairly new addition and felt bad because I assumed it wouldn't make it very long under such a weak light. When I asked how long he'd had it, it had been in the system for 2+ years. In another case, I saw a Walt Disney frag with full polyp extension and good growth under 600 PAR! In the past I would have assumed the coral would bleach in short order with that kind of light intensity. Finally, I was at yet another member's place and the highest PAR anywhere in the tank was around 100 with most of the tank getting quite a bit less. What did I see in that frag tank that 'didn't have enough light'? SPS, Zoas, LPS, and softies galore all looking full, happy and fully colored. So, what gives? Was I mistaken yet again in my belief that PAR was one of the most important elements in reefkeeping? I'm finding out the hard way that nutrients play a significant role but I would have never guess they were equal in importance to PAR.

Side note: ARC does have 2 PAR meter and I'd be more than happy to come and take a reading or work out a rental if anyone's interested. Another member has the other meter and takes care of the North/Northwest side of town but I'm available to cover anyone from Duluth down to South of the city. I live in Stone Mtn and if you'd like to arrange a PAR reading, hit me up over DM and we'll talk schedule.

I’m still interested! Do you have time this weekend? My tank won’t be as pretty as others that you have seen :rolleyes: My plan will be to switch lights and measure the before and after. I’m in the Dunwoody area.

I’m in Sandy Springs :) and our system is almost back up and online. So, would be interested in a reading too :)

For sure! @Suescuno I apologize for forgetting about the conversation we had a few weeks ago. Coming by your place totally slipped my mind. You're fist in line (see your DM) and once we agree on a time, I'll hit you up @sharis100

Per the OP.

We know the vast majority of living things will adapt to survive in less than ideal conditions. Our goal as hobbyists is to have our occupants thrive, not just survive. Sure 600 PAR is probably a bit high but on the lower end you've seen you don't know what the growth rates were. Would the clam have been much bigger in 2+ years with light at 200 or more PAR? I'd like to think so. At the same time if the person was able to keep it smaller for their tank and had higher PAR for coral further up in the aquarium I could see that as a good scenario too. I bet the mantle on that clam was fully extended to capture as much light as it could too. Probably looked pretty cool.

I’ve also had insane growth on a past tank, including many misc acropora colonies. That 75g mixed reef tank was running for several years and ate up 300mL of calc and alk per day by the end. PAR readings showed most of my corals were in the 35-65 PAR range, with my absolute highest peak at 95 PAR.

Those colonies were all healthy and traded for store credit for 11 pucks of Radions, a new Apex and accessories, several pumps, and the sump that I’m using on my current tank.

I agree that PAR is important, and I am running much higher PAR nowadays. However, the risks of too-high is bleaching, the risks of too-low is usually turning brown or losing color long before death... and gives the caregiver more time to respond to issues. So I support beginners doing lower PAR tanks for the safety and health of the animals.

just my $0.02

I’m in Lawrenceville - Old Peachtree exit. I’m also interested in a reading if you can swing this way. I have 2 - 90 gal tanks. One has T5 hybrid and radions and the other one has T5 Orphek & Kessil combo.

We should be able to run an experiment, compare costs and test both set-up. TIA

Back