Anyone have a PAR meter I can borrow?

zoajohn

Supporting
Reaction score
I recently changed lighting over my tank, and have experienced RTN and STN on every single acro in the tank since making the switch. I don't know if its due to too high PAR, too low PAR, or a change in spectrum. The ones that RTN'd were gone over the course of a few days, but all others have been receding from the base gradually. And I imagine this will continue until they're toast. I have no clue when the club meter will fall to me on the list so I wanted to check with other members first before I have to rent one online somewhere.

The club owns one, there should be a thread to get on the list if you can't find one. It is free to use for supporting members.

Sorry to hear about the acros. In case you can't find one, I rented one from Premiere Aquatics locally and it was very affordable.

Sorry to hear about the acros. In case you can't find one, I rented one from Premiere Aquatics locally and it was very affordable.
I had no idea they had one to rent! Good to know, thanks! I’m no where near either of the pick up points for the ARC ones, and also don’t always have $500 to hold to use it. I’ll try and arrange with Premier to use theirs.

I had no idea they had one to rent! Good to know, thanks! I’m no where near either of the pick up points for the ARC ones, and also don’t always have $500 to hold to use it. I’ll try and arrange with Premier to use theirs.
They will actually come to your house and measure it with the ARC one :)

I recently changed lighting over my tank, and have experienced RTN and STN on every single acro in the tank since making the switch. I don't know if its due to too high PAR, too low PAR, or a change in spectrum. The ones that RTN'd were gone over the course of a few days, but all others have been receding from the base gradually. And I imagine this will continue until they're toast. I have no clue when the club meter will fall to me on the list so I wanted to check with other members first before I have to rent one online somewhere.
Just from personal experience, acros from too much light usually burn at the tips not die off from the base. Also, most my acros that experience low light, usually just turn green or a dull color. Not to say the die off is not from the lights, but it could be just a coincidence of timing and has to do with something else going on in the system.

Have you made any other changes even a few weeks prior to the light change? I had some acros peel at the base before when I ran carbon or purigen and it stripped out the nutrients too fast. Unfortunately, I didn't put 2 and 2 together until after the 2nd or 3rd time it happened. Also, how are your nutrients?

Just from personal experience, acros from too much light usually burn at the tips not die off from the base. Also, most my acros that experience low light, usually just turn green or a dull color. Not to say the die off is not from the lights, but it could be just a coincidence of timing and has to do with something else going on in the system.

Have you made any other changes even a few weeks prior to the light change? I had some acros peel at the base before when I ran carbon or purigen and it stripped out the nutrients too fast. Unfortunately, I didn't put 2 and 2 together until after the 2nd or 3rd time it happened. Also, how are your nutrients?
I did switch carbon brands a month before this started to happen from rox to reef spec. I’ll try pulling it out. Though the acros I lost were pretty much immediately after swapping from two hydra 26’s in a 4bulb hybrid fixture to 3 XR15 blues in the same hybrid fixture.

I never really tested nutrients before the issues arose, but tested 2 days ago and nitrates were 1ppm and phosphates at 2ppb which might as well be undetectable at .006ppm. I’ve been dosing phosphate and nitrate since those tests.

I did switch carbon brands a month before this started to happen from rox to reef spec. I’ll try pulling it out. Though the acros I lost were pretty much immediately after swapping from two hydra 26’s in a 4bulb hybrid fixture to 3 XR15 blues in the same hybrid fixture.

I never really tested nutrients before the issues arose, but tested 2 days ago and nitrates were 1ppm and phosphates at 2ppb which might as well be undetectable at .006ppm. I’ve been dosing phosphate and nitrate since those tests.
Yeah, the timing is strange regarding the lights, but how they are dying from the base up just don't match with impact in lighting.

What's your alk at? Considering you're running fairly low nutrient, I had experience with high alk, low nutrient, and strong lighting lead to bleaching of my acros, but not the base peeling, which is still throwing me off.

Yeah, the timing is strange regarding the lights, but how they are dying from the base up just don't match with impact in lighting.

What's your alk at? Considering you're running fairly low nutrient, I had experience with high alk, low nutrient, and strong lighting lead to bleaching of my acros, but not the base peeling, which is still throwing me off.
7.89 dkh this morning per trident. I have my control set to 7.85dkh so it fluctuates slightly around there

7.89 dkh this morning per trident. I have my control set to 7.85dkh so it fluctuates slightly around there
That's not high at all. And assuming you are running trident, there was no swings in Alk?

I am at a lost on this one.

What intensity are you running your lights and settings, etc? You had pm'ed me about these lights and what I was running for reference reference point.

That's not high at all. And assuming you are running trident, there was no swings in Alk?

I am at a lost on this one.

What intensity are you running your lights and settings, etc? You had pm'ed me about these lights and what I was running for reference reference point.
Yeah no major swings at all. I have lights set at AB+ so 100% all channels and 70% schedule intensity. I’ve had them in acclimation mode starting at 50% for 25 days, so it’s probably somewhere around 60-65% right now in the ramp up.

Im in Warner Robins.. Who do I contact about the par meter?
Pm Sent. The waiting list for readings is still long but with a few days notice the par meter can be picked up in Duluth, Stone mountain, or Smyrna for a one week rental. The deposit is $500 and it is fully refundable on return of the working par meter.

The deposit may seem steep but it actually doesn't even cover the cost of replacement. We have already had to replace one unit due to someone leaving it on the top of their car...

Back