Overflows

anthony

Market
Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding a good quality 4-ft 120 so I've decided to just buy a new one. However I want to go with a regular tank that I can drill and add external an overflow. I believe the additional space I will have from not having internal overflows might make it more adorable? However I know nothing about external overflows except for a few things I've heard you guys speak about here so I wanted to get some suggestions. Especially from those who have already done this. Beat information like what tank did you go with how much did it cost? What overflow did you buy and why? Did you drill it yourself? Stuff like that

If I did any research before I got my custom tank, I would have got it drilled for a modular marine. Especially after seeing it on my friends tank. Synergy Overflows are cheap and a pain to dial in, I do not recommend it one bit. Modular Marine is just built way better, the external box sits at a higher height, so its easier to tune to make it dead silent. Synergy Overflow are flimsy, external box sits low making the water inside the box almost 1/2" from the top to get it quiet, and the cover sucks that requires additional work to prevent salt creep.

I did not drill it myself, but based on online vids out there, it seems fairly easy if you were to do your own drilling. Key point is to not push down while drilling, let the bit do its work. Keep it wet and having something on the underside to catch the glass. I know people try to practice on 10g tanks, but that glass is so thin, I think it would be even harder to drill.

As far as cost for the boxes, you can just google them.

Edit: Just to add, I have the Synergy V2. No matter how much you try to tune it, it is louder than it should be compared to a Modular Marine.

Last edited:
If I did any research before I got my custom tank, I would have got it drilled for a modular marine. Especially after seeing it on my friends tank. Synergy Overflows are cheap and a pain to dial in, I do not recommend it one bit. Modular Marine is just built way better, the external box sits at a higher height, so its easier to tune to make it dead silent. Synergy Overflow are flimsy, external box sits low making the water inside the box almost 1/2" from the top to get it quiet, and the cover sucks that requires additional work to prevent salt creep.

I did not drill it myself, but based on online vids out there, it seems fairly easy if you were to do your own drilling. Key point is to not push down while drilling, let the bit do its work. Keep it wet and having something on the underside to catch the glass. I know people try to practice on 10g tanks, but that glass is so thin, I think it would be even harder to drill.

Edit: Just to add, I have the Synergy V2. No matter how much you try to tune it, it is louder than it should be compared to a Modular Marine.
Adding to this, I have the Eclipse L Overflow Box and DO NOT recommend it for the same reason. I can never get it completely quiet because it sits to low. I ordered my 120 Peninsula tank through Pure Reef and had them drill it for $25

Why not just order a custom with an external one like you want it and forget the headache lol. Even the mass produce IM EXT models are amazing

I wish my tank had an external overflow. I lose a good bit of space with the corner overflow and it is noisy. If there was a good siphon overflow that would do around 3500 GPH I would consider getting one even though it would have to be installed on the side instead of the back. Made the mistake of not leaving enough room behind the tank for one.

I am having a hard time finding a good quality 4-ft 120 so I've decided to just buy a new one. However I want to go with a regular tank that I can drill and add external an overflow. I believe the additional space I will have from not having internal overflows might make it more adorable? However I know nothing about external overflows except for a few things I've heard you guys speak about here so I wanted to get some suggestions. Especially from those who have already done this. Beat information like what tank did you go with how much did it cost? What overflow did you buy and why? Did you drill it yourself? Stuff like that
I have a 120g I could sell u

1 × 48" MEGA Matrix Black (120 Gallon) Aquarium - Planet Aquariums​

Color:GreyOverflow Style:InternalGlass Options:Standard Glass
my kid bought at macna in 2019 i think it was

I have a 120g I could sell u

1 × 48" MEGA Matrix Black (120 Gallon) Aquarium - Planet Aquariums​

Color:GreyOverflow Style:InternalGlass Options:Standard Glass
my kid bought at macna in 2019 i think it was
brand new msrp was $2,769.99

Thank you for the valuable information.. I will definitely keep it in mind... once again.. thank you..

Van you send pics to 770 885 5885.. we can go from there if that's ok?
I'll get you some tom... my # is 478256 7 eight 7 oh

if you don't see any by lunchish, please shoot me a reminder txt!
thx!

6166AA86-B7D3-4E7C-A590-B80959DE70AC.jpeg

others txt’d 💪🏻
Excuse the mess.

Teenager moved out and tank hasn’t really been touched in obviously quite some time lol

Back