Overflow Box Question

chemaholic

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I am trying to setup a 50 gallon low boy frag tank. The tank I bought came drilled and had an Eshopps Eclipse M overflow box. This box only has two bulkheads for drain pipes. I want to get a box with three drain lines so I can do a bean animal overflow.

The issue other than this box only having two drains is the tank was drilled for a box with a single bulkhead from the internal box to the external section. All the boxes I find that have three drain pipes require the tank to be drilled with two holes for two bulkhead to the internal box.

The flow I run for this tank is not going to require two bulkheads to flow it. Is there such a thing as an external overflow box with three drain pipes and only needs one hole drilled in the tank? I guess I can drill another hole, I just do not want to.

It already has a Herbie overflow. As long as there is a gate valve on the short pipe to tune it? It needs to be a gate valve too, no ball valve. So my question would be, if flow is not an issue, what advantage would a Bean Animal give you?

These 2 videos highlight the Herbie overflow.
The one by Billy Pipes shows you how quiet they are once tuned & running for a minute to get rid of bubbles in the drain pipe. Be sure to use a true gate valve & tune it correctly. The BRS video shows how to adjust it. You’ve already got it, so why not try it?

Back