Outdrsyguy's 940 gallon DT Build

outdrsyguy1

Market
Reaction score
It has begun!

Figured I'd start documenting my dream build now that it's officially begun and the checks are getting cut ;). Always dreamed of a monster tank since I was a little kid and i've found myself in a good place to make that dream a reality!

Tank will be 118" wide x 56" deep x 33" tall acrylic. It will be a mixed reef tank with a DIY flare so don't expect to see pics of brand spanking new 10 unit tall stacks of vortec's and radions etc. I"ll be building out a fish room behind the tank but i'm not sure the fish room dimensions and equipment make-up yet.
I'll be starting with ocean revive lights and t5 supplements and I am seriously looking into eductors with a closed loop system in lieu of the typical magnet wall mount power heads. I have to make this easy to maintain and the act of cleaning all those power heads, and cleaning the acrylic around them will just be a nightmare if I don't work something out. I've tried to make a list of all the things I have to do to my current 110 tank to maintain it and come up with solutions to reduce the maintenance.

I'm also researching the triton method as I think it would be a good solution for large tanks such as this if it works long term. I've seen some reputable professional companies trying and out and i'll definitely be interested in the results.

I've got 3 quotes on the tank so far but I'm waiting for MRC to come through with theirs (they are taking MUCH longer than the others which is frustrating). There's also some terms in their warranty that i'm not a big fan of but we'll see.... Hoping to get it on order in the next couple days

Hoping for water and such around september ish

what's a thread without pics anyways, so without further adieu....

Lumber for tearing out load bearing wall and installing beam
1038587=62311-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434489834.772423.jpg

Early tank sizing
1038587=62312-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434489876.610128.jpg

Temp wall up!
1038589=62313-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434489938.827927.jpg

Load bearing wall history!
1038589=62314-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434489983.386853.jpg

Beam in place
1038589=62315-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434490018.671266.jpg

Playing with possible sizes still
1038589=62316-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434490054.595590.jpg

I think I'll start laying out the fish room while I wait on dt info.
Need to work out drain line. And utilities layout

Okay, so I spent a while tonight putting down tape on the ground and laying out the room dimensions. I transferred the dimensions to graph paper and cut out several pieces of equipment to try and figure out where to put everything. The door takes up valuable counter space. Maybe I'll just have to enter and exit the room underneath the tank Dukes of Hazard style LOL. I might be able to make it one or 2 feet more into the bedroom area but the bedrooms already 14 foot wide and I don't want to go less than 12. Even then my wife might have a conniption fit. It's amazing how much space all the stuff takes up! Utility sink, external skimmer, water mixing/changing station, 110 gallon quarantine tank. I would like to have room for a Frack tank somewhere but not sure that's going to happen. I think I'm going to have to get creative with elevations
1038691=62323-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434514275.308976.jpg

I would look into putting the actual sump under the tank to conserve floor space. Then line the walls with counters, cabinets, and shelves.

That's the plan. Though I did want to put some central bracing posts in to support the middle. Just depends on if I make the stand I guess. MRC will force me to buy their stand if I go with them so kinda depends on how they build it too. Want to keep everything in easy reach though. Probably work out the details once stand design is complete.

First batch of lights are in! Buying used for most of the rest of which I think I have 3 already on hold. Probably try to find two more. Just depends on my live rock layout. No need to light sand since I plan on filling in with t5s.

Rusty, who did you ask for the MRC quote?

I'm excited to another large tank here!

Back