New Video

mafiaman

Market
Reaction score
Last weekend I took a 45 minutes of video on the Alexander barge wreck.
It was a double dip at 110 FSW, Morays seem to be a favorite so I thought I would share this 1 minute clip with you. Todd I'm sorry but HD 1080i is just to big of a file, 1 minute is 377 megs.
You may say, Mafia's playing close to the edge getting that close to a Moray. I would reply to those who saw the pictures of my video set up "If he can eat his way past my video set up then I guess it is just my turn in the news paper!"

With out any further ado, click here>
a>

Thank you both, I wish I could compress Hi-Def better, So I could share the Hi-Def experience. It's tape in HD 1080i 30fps.

You can smell his breath in Hi-Def on my monitor. :D

Wow excellent video Mafia! I doubled the size of the image/video during playback and it was still crystal clear on my monitor. You have quite the rig there. :) :thumbs:

Downloading it now.

Great vid!! I wanted MORE! Looked like great viz as well.! It was clear on my screen.

The Moray looked to be a 4 footer or so. Nice. Never saw one that was just out hanging around. The ones I see are in deep holes and under ledges.

Odd though, I saw now fish?

Once again, you prove to be the master of the deepwater videos! One day I will give you a run!! :)

Drive safe, Dive often, Dive naked

Master Diver Todd

washowi;36126 wrote: Downloading it now.

Great vid!! I wanted MORE! Looked like great viz as well.! It was clear on my screen.
Thanks Todd
washowi wrote:

Once again, you prove to be the master of the deepwater videos! One day I will give you a run!! :)
I'm just a humble Pirate, besides you have an office with a glass wall. :tongue2:
washowi wrote:

Drive safe, Dive often, Dive naked

Master Diver Todd

I am editing the rest of the footage now, it will take a couple of days and the online file will be about 60 megs like the eagle video, and will be 25-30 minutes long. If the eagle video was not to much and you think you'd enjoy wreck film I'll post it.

Post away mate!!

BTW. I have no office with a glass wall... I work naked in my home! :)

The Glass Wall: I was referring to the envious volunteer position you have at the Ga. Aquarium as a Volunteer diver. But I can see how I did a poor job in saying what I meant.

Do me a favor,In the future any and all references of you being naked, please keep them to yourself. The visual I'm stuck with could cause me to not sleep well. :lol:

<span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: #008000;">Follow the link at the end of this message to view the video of the Alexander barge.</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: #008000;">Please critique it for me, The actual video quality will be much better when I burn it to disk, but right now I'd like to get your opinions on a few things.</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: #008000;"></span></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: #008000;">1) Narration: Did you like it?, Did it contain enough or to many facts?, was their to much or not enough of it?, was my voice tone ok?</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: #008000;">2) Video content: Did I do a good enough job capturing the dive, was there to much or to little of any part?</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: #008000;">Your comments will help a lot, I know you guys will just say it looks good, But please tell me some thing you like and what could be improved on for each item. So I can do better on the next one.</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: #008000;">Click here > http://www.atlanta-smas.org/Alexander_Barge.wmv"><span style="color: #810081;">http://www.atlanta-smas.org/Alexander_Barge.wmv</span></a> :fish: </span></span>

Full critique will be supplied this evening..

Downloading to my HD so I can watch it easier.

Excellent video Mafia... I really did enjoy it.
Ok here is a little constructive ideas so you can take it for what it is worth. I really loved the video.
At time = 1:20 I wonder if you could somehow isolate the audio and turn down the loud grating noise of something rubber? against the video system/sled
At time = 2:30 I was really starting to wonder how deep we were, temperature of the water, location (Gulf Side vs Ocean side), nearest city... etc
At time = 3:40 Identify the fish (Hogfish correct?)
At time = 4:45 You did go over the dive info some giving me the depth... good but maybe more toward the beginning of the video would be better???
At time = 5:15 Identify the Angel fish species
At time = 12:30 You state something like 'Alexander Barge was used to Dump debris onto the ocean floor' Maybe something like 'The Alexander Barge was used to transport old bridge materials out to the drop off destination for the formation of an artificial reef'. I just think that it sounds a little better and less like a bunch of trash was accidently/haphazardly pushed overboard.
At time = 14:00 your friends get to see the pair of Grouper but you don't... maybe it is because they are out ahead of you and spook the grouper away. Try to see if they will keep better behind you so that you can film the big fish on the next dive?
Also you could use the term "frequent Denizens" when describing the Groupers hanging out on the wreck. I think that is a fun word and is often associated with fish hanging out on wrecks. :)
At time = 20:00 and 20:25 You could Identify the fish
At time = 23:20 Identify the pair of fish
At time = 29:30 and 29:45 Isolate the audio and lessen the loud rubber squeak a bit.

The video was super incredible so I hope that you take my ideas only in the best intentioned way. I would love to get a good copy of it on HD DVD sometime so that I can show it to my wife. She does not yet have her SCUBA cert yet but has expressed interest several times. I may have to get her in a class now that the weather is getting warmer.
I really did like the lightheartedness and playfullness that was interjected in the video. Diving is great fun.
Keep up the great work. :thumbs:
Later
JustOneMoreTank :)

OK just finished it.

Great video...I know it's a 100 ft dive, so color is lost. However, It did not appear that the strobe lights were on? I may be wrong but at that depth and viability, they are needed. If they were on, Then I would spend more time on closer shots so the strobes bring back color. It makes it more interesting to me. Spend some time on a fish and follow it. etc. Close shots of the life you miss as you drift over the wreck.

I say this because when you were at the eel, it appears that the strobes came on for a second then went off? The eel segment was great cause you spent some time there and we got to watch the eel breath and the eyes look at us.

A long dive like that gets longer in monochrome color and shots from 20 feet that look the same. Edit out the sand shots.

I would have liked to see you discuss the dive plan on the boat and video the guys rolling off into the water, introduce your buddies and the Captain.

Also would have liked to see the decent and what it appeared like as you came on the wreck.

Also at your deco stops on the way up, I have met some cool critters as I hung there. Maybe some of you and the guys going up and hanging, and the visitors there.

Voice sounded like you read a script? A little monotone....Need to talk like your sitting with your buddies, maybe get 2 of you to do it together and discuss the dive video. Some voice inflection so it sounds more natural.

Laughing and cutting up, would make us feel like we are with you.

I know this is new, and you are just starting. But you asked and I hope you take these comments with a grain of salt, I am no critic. I hope you continue to improve and excel!

All in all, well done!! I loved it and want to dive with ya!.

Hope this helps. ????

Todd

No body loves me!! :sad:

Seriously, Just what I was looking for. Real friends tell you about the booger hanging out, a drinking buddy reaches up and removes it.

Chris,: I am working on editing the sounds down. (self teaching, using Adobe premier elements)
You make a good point about water/dive conditions sooner.
The reason I didn't I.D. fish was because I was concerned that the whole narration thing may start to take away from the video. Guess I need to find a middle.
10/4, more detailed or more complete details.
I haven't started burning HD disks yet, waiting for the market to decided between blueray and HD-DVD. So for my hidef it's either my computer or hook the camera up to the TV direct. But your welcome to a standard Def. disk.

Todd,: I had the two HID lamps running the whole time but the white balance washed them out. With the Eal I flipped one of the Halogens on for a second the white balance would have compensated for it if I would have left it on.

What I should have done was not used lights at all and used my Red filter. It would have brought out more colors. Some people (not you) Like the realistic feel of no red filter. But I'm with you, next time red filter.
The Eagle video I left most of the decent and part of the safety stop in, and 2 minutes of water column seemed to me to get old.
I have been contemplating short dry intro. clips at the start of each video.

Chris C.

Good!! You still like us!

I felt like I was back in Architectural Design class! Every week we had to critique and be critiqued on our weekly projects. I dreaded that cause they were brutal!

You get better every time you hit the water. Pretty soon you will be giving Chatterton and Kohler a run for their money.

See soon.....You living in the Keys now?

washowi;36299 wrote: Good!! You still like us!
I know where some of the areas I can do better and if you guys would have not pointed them out I would have lost respect for you.
It has always been my policy to totally disregard any reviews of products or other that did not give both pros and cons. Nothing is perfect, and kool aid drinkers piss me off :D
washowi wrote: You get better every time you hit the water. Pretty soon you will be giving Chatterton and Kohler a run for their money.

See soon.....You living in the Keys now?

Thank you, no I'm staying in N.Fort Myers (doing a job here) for about 7-8 months. But I pick dives most every weekend that the seas aren't blown out down in the keys. Lucky me!!:thumbs:

Back