New tank build progress post.

pcmc3

Market
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,
After a brief intermission in reeftanking I'm back with a new tank build. Thought I would share it with everyone and see if anyone had any opinions ideas or helpful information for my build. I attached a few starting photos.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1111978=70097-image.jpg
>
1111978=70097-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
fieldset>

Hope you didn't drive that tank from ATL like that .. lol. Are you in Hawaii? Are you thinking of doing a reef tank? Or fish only? Maybe do a biotope tank of pacific life near Hawaii .. corals, fish, etc. all from the area...
any plans for lights and sump/skimmer setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquaworld75;1111993 wrote: Hope you didn't drive that tank from ATL like that .. lol. Are you in Hawaii? Are you thinking of doing a reef tank? Or fish only? Maybe do a biotope tank of pacific life near Hawaii .. corals, fish, etc. all from the area...
any plans for lights and sump/skimmer setup?

Lol. I did not drive from Atlanta with it. I actually grabbed it from the north end of Washington state being I live here now.

The plan is to do a mixed reef with a open aquascaping but I have not decided on what kind of rock I want to use yet. As for the sump and skimmer I cannot remember the names of the ones I have. Ones my household goods shipment comes in with all of my stuff I will be sure to post it.
Once upon a time I had a set of radions gen3 (I think) and I don't think they are really worth the money. That being said I really want to try out some cheaper led fixtures.

dball711;1111999 wrote: Iv'e seen that type of fish before, it's a clown dog right?

How did you know! Most people cannot recognize this fish as it very rare and elusive.

I use the TMC AquaBeam 2000. LED tiles. The US Distributor is out your way on west coast.

Keep us posted on progress on the tank.

Aquaworld75;1112022 wrote: I use the TMC AquaBeam 2000. LED tiles. The US Distributor is out your way on west coast.

Keep us posted on progress on the tank.

Thanks for the information! I will do some research on this. Have you had good growth with them so far?

dball711;1112013 wrote: Cant wait to see pictures of your progress...welcome back!

Thanks! I will most definitely keep posting my progress.

Yeah. They work great. When I keep up with dosing and stable parameters I was growing pocillopora SPS frags from 1/2in pieces to over 2-3 inch clusters in about 4 months. I also like how they are waterproof and very low power consumption with great output and coverage. I had 2 in my 60 gallon tank (3ft wide) and had good coverage over entire tank. I am upgrading to a 180 and will be using all 4 of the tiles I have .

Awesome I'm definitely looking into them.

So my house hold goods came in Friday. First thing I unpacked was my sump and went to put it in my stand to start planning out my plumbing. Well I hit road block number one (sump is 1/4in to big). So time to build a new stand! I think I am going to try and build in a area for some on/off switches.

Sorry for the poor video quality.
Here is my starting point for my aquascaping. I find this to be the very hardest part of a reef build. I never seem to be happy with what I am able to create.

I agree with the above. If that is pukani you should be able to do something pretty cool:) take the widest one as a base then use acrylic rods to build arms and such that over hang. That way you have lots of sand bed area exposed as well as lots of rock area to place corals:) it's not as hard as it sounds:) you can also take a saw to the stuff and cut out whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank for the responses. Here is what I have so far, but I'm am also planning on picking up some tonga branch to put in place at the top middle.

The photos really don't show how open the rock work is.
5d65e0cf7a774a6432ba86f4edcb61ad.jpg
alt="" />
7dd25551add6db4f3d584b267171a49d.jpg
alt="" />
8baf02a9e0e8cba341f9b7dbbd00e855.jpg
alt="" />

Also the whole rock work is going to come forward a little bit it's just pushed back to make it easier to build on.

Well today was the day I filled the tank. Filling the tank went great, then i noticed a very big problem.
The front right corner of my tank is much lower. The water level in the back left and back right corners is sitting at about 1in from the top while the front left is about .5in and front right a little less than that.
This concerns me because this is causing excess stress and it does not allow me to have enough room up top in case of a drain blockage. Hopefully the shims I am going to get will help fix this problem.

Other than the leveling issue things have all been going well except for the USPS breaking my Protein skimmer during shipping. I was able to fix it well enough to work short term while the process my insurance payment but I am planning on replacing it anyway. Anyone have any suggestions?

Back