New Guy with a 180

PilotMike

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Mike here from Newnan. I have been in the hobby for about 10 years and started with a nano and now have a 180 gallon mixed reef. I am still learning a lot and have made a lot of mistakes getting to where I am today, which is a novice reefer. Over the years I’ve lost more coral and fish than I can remember. But I have finally over the past year invested in knowledge and technology to get me to a stable and healthy reef tank. My current build is a:

*180 gallon reef that sits in our home office….
*2 Inch Sandbed with approximately 160 pounds of live rock.
*I am not good at coral identification but we have toadstools, hammers, mushrooms, zoa, rose tip annenomes, duncans, and frags that’s my 4 year old and I purchase at our monthly fish store visit.
*Over the tank we have two reef breeder led lights spanning the tank about 6 inches above the water

In our new house we built a fish room below that house with a salt mixing station, sump, and skimmer. We recently added an APEX with Trident and DOS pump. We are currently dosing bulk ALK and CA from BRS. I’m still dialing in my parameters with the DOS. I have been running Carbon and GFO for as long as I can remember.

Current Parameters:
Temp 77
PH 8.1
ALK 7.42 (trying to get it to 8.0 and hold it steady with DOS)
CA 443 (also trying to get it stable at 425 with DOS)
MAG 1390

Well that’s me and my tank in a nutshell. I used to have a lot more time to dedicate to it. But with two mall kids that has proven to be a challenge. I’m hoping to be of service to the group and seek advice as thing are always coming up. I am also looking to get more coral for the tank and continue to grow my reef. I look forward to meeting and chatting with everyone on the forum.

Happy Reefing
Mike

Welcome to the club. We are glad you are here!

Back