My new to me 240g Glass Cages tank may be useless

chemaholic

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I purchased a used 240g Glass Cages tank. It is a beautiful tank. It is a peninsula with an exterior overflow and is 60x36x25.

I picked it up in NC Saturday and drove it home. Everything looked good when we moved it and loaded it. No issues on inspection. Drove all the way home with zero issues. No nasty bumps or anything.

The tank was wrapped in moving blankets and there was nothing around it that could fall on it. I had it in a 15' UHaul moving van.

On inspection when I got home there was a flake of glass dangling on one of the ends of one of the long sides. I am in contact with Glass Cages to see what if anything can be done. I am going to get more pictures this evening to share but I thought maybe someone might have an idea of whether it could be reinforced and run or repaired. Replacement of the tank is the last thing I want to do because it will take a while to save up for that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Pictures.

Attachments

• 20230225_181024.jpg
    20230225_181024.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230225_181017.jpg
    20230225_181017.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 61
Sorry to hear this. That is on a seam, I would be very careful. Joe will be honest with you for sure. Joe won't take old glass and repair it, I know this for sure as I had a similar issue with another customer that sold his tank and discovered a chip. He will only want to sell a new one, as it takes too much time for them to replace panels, so they just don't do it.

Is it towards the bottom or top? If top there is less pressure against the glass, if at the bottom then I would suggest against it. That is just my .02 cents, after 30+ years in the hobby 20+ in the industry, I error on the side of caution, esp when that is 240 gallons of water. That is a lot of loss of animals and corals if you didn't catch it in time and were not home to deal with the seal breaking should that happen.

I am sorry to see you had this happen. When I move tanks, I always move using plywood sheets and foam, if I can't use pallets and foam.

I am considering having some some 1 or 2" strips cut from 1/4" or 1/2" glass to reinforce the entire seam from the inside and maybe the outside too. I am thinking I could remove the silicone from the inside corner without breaching the seal like you would to reseal a tank. Then place the strips on both sides of the seam overlapped with silicone on all of the glass that touches the tank glass and beads down all the new seams.

Yeah I will take some tonight. It is sort of circular on the other side. no cracks as far as I could see, but there is a divot on that side.

Sorry to hear this. That is on a seam, I would be very careful. Joe will be honest with you for sure. Joe won't take old glass and repair it, I know this for sure as I had a similar issue with another customer that sold his tank and discovered a chip. He will only want to sell a new one, as it takes too much time for them to replace panels, so they just don't do it.

Is it towards the bottom or top? If top there is less pressure against the glass, if at the bottom then I would suggest against it. That is just my .02 cents, after 30+ years in the hobby 20+ in the industry, I error on the side of caution, esp when that is 240 gallons of water. That is a lot of loss of animals and corals if you didn't catch it in time and were not home to deal with the seal breaking should that happen.

I am sorry to see you had this happen. When I move tanks, I always move using plywood sheets and foam, if I can't use pallets and foam.

You put a sheet of foam under the tank and then a sheet of plywood? Could you do this on top of the stand as well? Plywood top on the stand, sheet of foam, then tank?

You put a sheet of foam under the tank and then a sheet of plywood? Could you do this on top of the stand as well? Plywood top on the stand, sheet of foam, then tank?
I usually only do that for transportation. Now with acrylic tanks, I always do plywood then a sheet of foam then the tank. I don't use foam with glass tanks, I will use a rubber mat with glass.

I commented on the Facebook Try Wise Rv Glass. He can make anything glass in Cumming ga. Im sure youll just need Non tempered glass to the desired thickness

Back