I am so confused LEDS

hertz4319

Reaction score
Hi all,

We are in the process of setting up our tank. We have a 215 gal tank consisting of the following 72"L x 30"H x 24"W. So we have been doing research about which leds system (brand I should buy). Money is always a concern. However there are certain items we do not want to skimp on.

We are looking for LEDS to do the best for the tank. We plan on eventually doing a full reef tank we do not want to be limited by lighting. We are not interested in all the fancy features and do not need the latest and greatest. We want something that will allow the tank to flourish. The coral do not need to grow super fast just grow and not die.

So without further ado. Suggestions and why. Thank you in advance for your help.

Stewart

With the requirements you gave, any "full spectrum" unit running 3w leds sounds like it fits the bill.

Definitely go with Reefbreeders! They lowered their pricing as the new design is being released soon.

I've had multiple units of LED. I started with the Black box - China made units. Down, dirty and simple. Two colors....blue and whites. They worked just fine and my corals grew rapidly with these lights. The cost was not overly expensive so I felt they were affordable as a replacement to my metal halides.

I then went to eShine Systems. They make a wide variety of units. I ended up with a 4G controllable unit. Again, only two colors but they work very well. They are difficult to find though. I don't believe there is a US distributor so you have to buy direct from eShine. I still have my last 4G unit running over my frag tank. It's 2 years old and never had an issue. These are not the cheapest on the market either.

Finally....I ended up with AI Sol Super Blues over my 180g display tank. I have 6 units which is way overkill but then I can under-drive them and get the same results. By under-driving, I should be able to get almost double the life out of the LEDs. I like their controller and their wireless function. With their new Director add-on...I could even control them over the internet if I wanted to. The price is right too. Direct from AI...$299 for a refurbished unit. On eBay...anywhere from $180 to $240 is the going rate. These are 3 color lights...white, blue and royal. They can also simulate storms and many other features.

Jeff : any growth or color difference with the corals that you noticed from black box to eshine to the ai

JimmyStephens;962007 wrote: Jeff : any growth or color difference with the corals that you noticed from black box to eshine to the ai

Difficult to answer because so many other things that contribute to growth and color where also changed each time the lighting was changed. I will say that my best growth originally came from the black box. My acros exploded under the black boxes but my other corals didn't seem to do much. Now under AI Sols, my acro growth is a bit slower but the colors of soft corals is explosive.

I forgot to mention that I ran TaoTronics for a while too with reasonable success and their customer service was excellent when I had a problem. I think if I had to start over....I'd still be looking at TaoTronics or AI Sols because these fixtures use a "puck" and if an LED fails, you just replace the puck. No soldering or special skills needed.

I ran a Reefbreeders Photon 32 over my 90 and it's over my 125 now. I'm looking at getting another one to cover the whole tank, it's dark in the corners right now. lol
Love the light though!

I say save up and get the best possible lighting you can. It pays to do it right the first time. Watch some youtube videos on other reef tanks near your size for some ideas of possible lighting you may want. You will also see how the light performs.

MarquiseO;970548 wrote: I say save up and get the best possible lighting you can. It pays to do it right the first time. Watch some youtube videos on other reef tanks near your size for some ideas of possible lighting you may want. You will also see how the light performs.

+1

I'll promise you two things. First the not caring whether or not your corals are growing optimally will change once you get into it. Soon there after if skimmed on you'll be after more suitable equipment to promote growth. Second, bells and whistles aside most if the higher end leds that offer those also offer completely customization of color and optics. Which brings me to my second promise, if you don't have the ability to change color, spectrum and intensity. You will be buying and trying different units trying to capture qualities you see in others tanks. There's a reason why so many people have first person opinions on so many lights. They've tried them all looking for the one.

Only ones I'd recommend personally is the Ferrari of LEDS the Radion and what I'm currently running and very, very happy with the Kessel a360w.

Jeff has good advice. But I want to throw in my two cents.

I started with the older Maxpects G2s on my 90. These were only blue and white and they worked well for me as far as growth but I had issues with fans, controllers, and burned out LEDs.

Then for my 180 build I wanted a full spectrum fixture; dimmable; good quality LEDs; and a great warranty.

I found the RapidLED Onyx fit my needs completely. CREE LEDs, dimmable, controllable, and a full two year warranty followed by three more years where the fixture is replaced for a small fee ($50 if I remember correctly). I've had these running for nine months and am still happy with my decision.

Back