Help needed - we had a house fire and need to know what chemicals are reef safe

sharis100

Supporting
Reaction score
So, major house fire and contractors will be rebuilding. For structure that is there, they plan on using a sealant, but I have researched and found many sealants are a no go after house fires as they
Crash reef system.
Anyone have knowledge on this?
IMG_3976.pngIMG_3975.png

Shrink wrap the tank and stand good to seal it up and run airline for skimmer outside with a little air filter on the end. Maybe throw alittle carbon in. That’s your best bet without removing the tank.

Might have to remove it. :( probably going to try negative air pressure to protect and see if that works.

I have no info to offer - but I wanted to say I HATE hearing/seeing this. Tish and I loved your tanks when we saw them.

Good luck !

Hey @sharis100 I'm sorry to hear about the fire. I hope the damage is minimal. I looled up the SDS on what you listed and it doesn't seem too bad. @Jdadams recommendation would be ideal, and I'd definitely add carbon as VOC's will be present until the sealer is dry. You'll definitely want to make sure none of the actual sealer makes it into the water. If you can draw in air from outside for your skimmer I think you'll be just fine.

Hey @sharis100 I'm sorry to hear about the fire. I hope the damage is minimal. I looled up the SDS on what you listed and it doesn't seem too bad. @Jdadams recommendation would be ideal, and I'd definitely add carbon as VOC's will be present until the sealer is dry. You'll definitely want to make sure none of the actual sealer makes it into the water. If you can draw in air from outside for your skimmer I think you'll be just fine.
They will be repairing and rebuilding damaged areas after the fire inspectors and electrical engineers work out liability issues over the next few weeks. We had installed a new HVAC system that had issues. So manufacturer, HVAC company and the insurance company all have their experts….. we put in a new system to avoid issues, but this happened….. I will let the contractors know about above recs. Thank you! I not only want things safe for the fish but also for the people and the dogs. Reading the labels on these products is scary 😟

I am so sorry to read this :(. I am glad you all are ok!
Thanks! Scary experience, but I managed to get out of house and get four dogs out with only minor burns in my backpack and called 911 and firemen arrived before house blew up. Only 3 cm to spare before main gas line would have been hit. So we were really blessed 😇

Reactions: JAC
Thanks! Scary experience, but I managed to get out of house and get four dogs out with only minor burns in my backpack and called 911 and firemen arrived before house blew up. Only 3 cm to spare before main gas line would have been hit. So we were really blessed 😇
Oh my goodness, that is so scary. I’m so glad you got your fur babies out. If you need anything or help with tanks, just let me know I am more than happy to help.

They will be repairing and rebuilding damaged areas after the fire inspectors and electrical engineers work out liability issues over the next few weeks. We had installed a new HVAC system that had issues. So manufacturer, HVAC company and the insurance company all have their experts….. we put in a new system to avoid issues, but this happened….. I will let the contractors know about above recs. Thank you! I not only want things safe for the fish but also for the people and the dogs. Reading the labels on these products is scary 😟
The labels are always scary these days for liability reasons. Even a bottle of Tylenol says it may cause severe liver damage, and most prescribed medicines warnings are downright terrifying. But if you look closely at the actual ingredients then the worries become a lot clearer. Not saying this product won't hurt your tank, cause it has some nastys in it, but nothing too extreme. Keeping the vapors out of your systems should address the concerns. I'd do some water changes after just to be sure.

Best of luck,
JAC

Thank you all for your kind words and shared information! This last several weeks has been challenging to say the least! But grateful we are all good and hoping the rebuild goes smoothly and my tanks survive!🤞

I have my DIY frag tank up and running. The corals I moved in last week are all doing fine. It’s not big but I can hold some things for a bit if needed.

Question- does anyone know what I should tell contractors to do to get outside air to fishroom?

Back