Hair algae/sea hare

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
So - recently I've been battling hair algae. My RODI filters were expired and I didn't realize it and my phosphates shot through the roof. Welp, lesson learned. I've gotten it back down to .05, but I've had a ton of algae in my frag tank. So I bought a sea hare, having read that they're voracious hair algae eaters. My god, this thing is the best animal I've put in my tanks. He's cleared up over half of the patches in just five days. It's insane how much he's eaten.

Anyway, once he's done, should I sell him? Or will they eat nori in your experience?

First off I just want to say I feel your pain with the ro unit, glad you caught it, I've done that too. I didn't catch mine that quick, I was doing a lot of water changes trying to clear up hair algae while just making it worse.
Second, I personally never had long term success with sea hairs, it might be a good idea to pass him along to someone else in need so he will stay in good health.

First off I just want to say I feel your pain with the ro unit, glad you caught it, I've done that too. I didn't catch mine that quick, I was doing a lot of water changes trying to clear up hair algae while just making it worse.
Second, I personally never had long term success with sea hairs, it might be a good idea to pass him along to someone else in need so he will stay in good health.
I kind of figured that would be the case. I will post a for trade post when he's done eating :D

Also - biggest takeaway for me with RODI unit - 0TDS doesn't mean 0 issues. Test your RODI and your tank water regularly :p

Also - biggest takeaway for me with RODI unit - 0TDS doesn't mean 0 issues. Test your RODI and your tank water regularly :p
When I figured out what was fueling the algae, my ro waster had over 1.0 ppm phosphate, that color blue wasn't even on the chart. Took a few months to get all the phosphate out of my system.

We had a sea hare that once it did it's job was feed nori. Unfortunately even though I put it a few places in the tank, our fox face and sail fin either ate it all or bullied the sea hare so it could not eat. If you have herbivores in your tank, it is best to find a new home for it, or give it back to the store.

I've been looking for a sea hare myself, let me know if you want to get rid of it once it's cleaned your tank

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ok cool thanks, and actually I'm gonna be up that way Friday so I might stop by nemo's and check it out

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back