Good 3D Printer for PETG

chemaholic

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I picked up a used 3D printer the other day for $75. It is an older printer though and will not print with PETG. It does a good job with PLA though.

The printer I have now is a Wanhao Duplicator 4S. I know the brand might not be very good, but the printer is pretty well made and functioned fine once we cleaned it up and spent a little time finding software for it. Parts are still available for it too. I have been trying to see if I can upgrade the extruder or hotend on it to use PETG but I have not found anything to suggest that I can.

I am trying to find a printer that will work with PETG, PLA, and ABS. I will be making things for my aquarium and whatever other things I want to mess around with. I thought I would ask you all if you had any suggestions.

Thanks!

Nothing huge. I think the platform I have now is around 6 x 9.

I have been reading up too. I know I want a dual extruder unit that can do PETG and comes with an enclosure. I was doing some reading on the Reddit 3d printer sub too for ideas.

I agree. The R/3dprinting subreddit is a great source of information. There is also r/prusa3d and r/fixmyprint

I have a Prusa MK3s+ on recommendation from @Cook. For 20 months now I have been printing any material I can get at microcenter with relative ease. PLA, PETG, ABS, TPU, Nylon CF, and CF Polycarbonate.

Unless you are looking for dissolvable supports or you really need dual color prints I do not think multiple extruders are needed.

If I had waited I would be seriously considering a Prusa XL bc I have a ton of uses for dissolvable supports.

I know I want a dual extruder unit that can do PETG and comes with an enclosure.

Don't get hung up on an included enclosure. I would take a Prusa I3 with a cardboard box over it than most Enclosed Creality printers. I received my printer and then printed all of the needed parts for the Ikea Lack enclosure. I added a switch and a 24v LED bar to the control board.
20210408_190816.jpg

Edit: If you do end up making the Lack enclosure I recommend embedding a concrete paver into one of the table tops. It makes a huge difference
20210419_104133.jpg20210419_130417.jpg

Last edited:
Don't get hung up on an included enclosure. I would take a Prusa I3 with a cardboard box over it than most Enclosed Creality printers. I received my printer and then printed all of the needed parts for the Ikea Lack enclosure. I added a switch and a 24v LED bar to the control board.
View attachment 68598

Edit: If you do end up making the Lack enclosure I recommend embedding a concrete paver into one of the table tops. It makes a huge difference
View attachment 68599View attachment 68600
That looks good! I will add that to my list of printers to look for. The dual extruders is for dissolvable supports. So long as it does not break the bank I would rather have the option. Thank you sharing this!

Back