Going back radion generation?

ecoreefguy

Supporting
Reaction score
So I’ve been a loyal Ecotech radion used since gen 2 ( gen 1 was trash) up to the current gen 6. Anyone else feel that Gen 5 was a downgrade from gen 4? And gen 6 is just a lens and software upgrade? I’m sitting here with my park meeting and measuring it out… gen 4 seems to be the better design. Without the corrosion issues. Gen 4 has better par and spread . Only down side is the slight disco without the diffuser.
Anyone else notice this and want to chime in? Should I just buy gen 4 for my build?

That seems to be the general consensus. I’m running two brand new Gen 4s over a couple of my tanks now.

My only experience with Radions are with the Gen 3 & Gen 5. Personally, I feel like people put way too much emphasis on PAR. My experience is the spread is way more important, hence why I always felt like T5s were always needed in previous light combos with LEDs. With the G5, I did not need to add T5s like I did in the past with other LEDs. The spread is amazing throughout the aquarium and the PAR is exactly what I need. I aim for about 350 PAR at around 6" below the surface and around 175 on the sandbed with a 24" depth tank.

Only gripe with the G5s is the fan noise. It is loud! How is it that such an expensive fixture is that poorly designed is beyond me. The other thing is Mobius, it is a hit or miss if you can control it.

My only experience with Radions are with the Gen 3 & Gen 5. Personally, I feel like people put way too much emphasis on PAR. My experience is the spread is way more important, hence why I always felt like T5s were always needed in previous light combos with LEDs. With the G5, I did not need to add T5s like I did in the past with other LEDs. The spread is amazing throughout the aquarium and the PAR is exactly what I need. I aim for about 350 PAR at around 6" below the surface and around 175 on the sandbed with a 24" depth tank.

Only gripe with the G5s is the fan noise. It is loud! How is it that such an expensive fixture is that poorly designed is beyond me. The other thing is Mobius, it is a hit or miss if you can control it.
Yea, it's kinda loud and kicks on too often. I think a part of the fan noise issues is how high you have to set the percentage to reach the same amount of light from the previous generation. Looks like they use the same sized heat sinks, but with a power increase. I don't plan on the build being finished and cycled until probably next year. Hopefully they release a G7 or Kessil release some pucks that doesn't require dongles for control.
What's your thoughts on using the AI blades as supplement lighting? I love T5's smooth lighting, but still want the pop that LED supplement bars give.

I can't speak for AI blades, but have you considered like the ATI Straton or the Philips Coral Care? Never have to worry about sound, but the fixtures are larger due to the heatsink. On a plus side with the larger size, it will get a better spread and coverage vs. single point of light like a Kessil.

Back to supplement lighting, I like the idea of the AI blades, but it's cost doesn't make sense to me. If it were me, I'd rather use orpheks or quanta bars, which are more cost effective.

I can't speak for AI blades, but have you considered like the ATI Straton or the Philips Coral Care? Never have to worry about sound, but the fixtures are larger due to the heatsink. On a plus side with the larger size, it will get a better spread and coverage vs. single point of light like a Kessil.

Back to supplement lighting, I like the idea of the AI blades, but it's cost doesn't make sense to me. If it were me, I'd rather use orpheks or quanta bars, which are more cost effective.
I have used the gen one Philip. I hated the color spectrum. Never heard of the Straton, but just ordered one for saltwater aquarium. Will let you know how they are when they arrive. My only issues is that I am still debating a hanging kit vs. arms. I am not the most handy person, probably have 18 holes on my ceiling before I center it.wife probably throw the tank out. I might do the orphek, just wanted to see if anyone used the AI. But the 67 inch are over price, like 900 per.

Yeah, I believe the Coral Care G1 had a very white light to it, but the G2 does give you an option to make it cooler or warmer on the color spectrum. I just like the idea of no fans to fail and no sound to make.

For racking, I been using the AI HMS rail. You can use that as a hanging or sitting on the rim of your tank, entirely up to you. I made brackets out of pieces of wood I painted and some bolts, nuts, & washers from home depot. Super easy and don't have to be that handy. If you want to go this route, I don't mind helping, but you would have to come to me and I can tell you what you would need to get. It can be done in less than an hour to get brackets made.

See pics attached of how it looks. Both tanks are using AI HMS Rail with DIY brackets.

Attachments

• IMG-5974.jpg
    IMG-5974.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-5979.jpg
    IMG-5979.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-5980.jpg
    IMG-5980.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-6646.jpg
    IMG-6646.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 12
I really like the Orphek OR3 for supplemental lighting. I think the LED market as a whole has become so saturated that Radions aren’t as impressive as they were in the past. I run a Gen 6 Blue and 2 orphek or3’s. I’ve thought about running only OR3’s but honestly have been in the lull part of the hobby where you contemplate taking a break lol. It’s a very cyclical hobby for me.

I really like the Orphek OR3 for supplemental lighting. I think the LED market as a whole has become so saturated that Radions aren’t as impressive as they were in the past. I run a Gen 6 Blue and 2 orphek or3’s. I’ve thought about running only OR3’s but honestly have been in the lull part of the hobby where you contemplate taking a break lol. It’s a very cyclical hobby for me.
MOST led are the same to be honest. It’s the software for me. Implemention and ease is so important to me. I don’t know if you every use the hybrid ATI fixtures, the 0-255 settings per led string was a pain. I hated ATI after that. Geismenn was horrible with their cable. You can’t delay blue in gen1-2 hybrids. They were like 2800 too. Radions just simple and a lot of people use them so the schedules and tests are done for you by community. It’s same reason we love Neptune .

I also chose ecotech because the customer support has been fantastic in my personal experience.

I would second the recommendation to look at the Quanta bars. I'm using two for supplemental on my 180 with my Reefi's. They are based in Wisconsin and knowledgeable.

Ecotech has become the saltwater apple. They have a fan base that wants latest new tech, even if it is only buzz words and a new case.

Just like neptune which I have been a diehard fan on for well over a decade (now owned by the same company) and quality and having things actually work at release is a thing of the past.

Ecotech has become the saltwater apple. They have a fan base that wants latest new tech, even if it is only buzz words and a new case.

Just like neptune which I have been a diehard fan on for well over a decade (now owned by the same company) and quality and having things actually work at release is a thing of the past.
I think I'm in the boat of fanboy at times. But the implementation of software ( when it's working) is hard to move away from. Just like apple OS. I like the ecosystem. That with the aesthetic makes it my first choice before I even look at specs and etc. Kinda bad I know. I am holding off the light purchase for this reason. I actually on gen 6, but with the time frame based on ecotechs previous releases, it would suggest that G6 are at end of life and the G7 are coming 2024.
I would second the recommendation to look at the Quanta bars. I'm using two for supplemental on my 180 with my Reefi's. They are based in Wisconsin and knowledgeable.
My reasoning for even going with blades is to keep everything on one app. But it's like 1800 for the 2 GLOW strips I need. My wife hasn't said anything about me going over budget but I think she's not too happy lol. But I would like everything to last a couple of years before tech gets old.
I also chose ecotech because the customer support has been fantastic in my personal experience.
Support been iffy. Before everything is based on serial number. Now a proof of purchased is mandatory. Places like Premier and Pure Reef will keep receipt records based on CC and such, but many don't. Like I keep boxes, but how many of keeps a THERMAL receipt in tact for months. Ive legit sent an almost blank piece of paper to ecotech for warranty after a few months of the receipt fading in the box. Premier was kinda enough to print me a new one after they said " we can't read it"

Back