Forgot what this is

larrynews

Supporting
Reaction score
I’ve had this for a few years, it’s never gotten any bigger about the size of a golf ball. Any thoughts on what it might be.

Attachments

• IMG_8952.jpeg
    IMG_8952.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 50
It looks like a blasto of some sort to me. Google blastomussa and see what you think!

Edit: Jeez, sorry it to so long to give you some sort of ID @larrynews Must have missed this question. Did you ever get a positive ID? (What I really want to know if whether I was right or wrong.)

Pics with it's tentacles retracted would help a lot with ID. Looks like a favites to me, but there are so many related species in that group.

Thanks to all. It may be a blastomussa bit it seems to be tighter. Here is a better picture. No biggie if I don’t figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_9175.jpeg
    IMG_9175.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 12
Definitely not a blasto. Blastos have tentacles all over the surface, and grow with branches like hammers. Favia/favites are encrusters, and have tentacles only on the oral disc that can be withdrawn when not feeding. It's difficult to make a true assessment with the feeding tentacles out.

They are out more than I thought. It hasn’t grown in over 2 years about a golf ball size

Back