Denitrate

mph84

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if there is any way of rejuvenating denitrate once it has been used up? I.e. rinsing in bleach, vinegar etc etc? And my other question is what's the difference in this and matrix? I noticed that you guys say not to remove matrix. And i think the site says that denitrate will run out eventually.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Pretty sure matrix and denitrate are the same thing, just different sizes.

Denitrate needs a relatively slow flow, and with that slow flow, is pretty efficient at growing denitrifying anaerobes.

Edit: If you want to fry the bacteria and start over, bleach it and start fresh.

+1 it's just lava rock that's super porous so it doesn't really "run out"

Hey Mike,

I beleive that Ripped is right, I remember the Seachem rep coming on a little while ago ans saying this

Thanks for all of the posts!

The Matrix and de*nitrate are very similar. De*nitrate is a smaller size and requires lower flow through it, in order to function as a nitrifying (remove ammonia and nitrite) and denitrifying filter (remove nitrate). The flow rate should be less than 50 gph through De*nitrate.

The Matrix is larger (a little less than 1/2" diameter) and does not require a specific flow rate, as it will function as a nitrifying and denitrifying filter at any flow rate. We also have the Pond Matrix which is the same, but larger in diameter (~1") and is ideal for use in large sumps. Either will work.

Both media's are entirely biological and will not release anything back into the tank. They both provide an ideal environment for aerobic and anaerobic bacteria colonization.

As for the placement of the Matrix, I would recommend after the skimmer so that any excess "junk" is removed before it reaches the Matrix.

I hope this helps!

...for some reason I thought the label said something about how de*nitrate would absorb nitrate and and then be colonized by aerobic/anaerobic bacteria. I've got a half bottle left in the basement somewhere I'll check it if I ever can find it. For the most part I believe that de*nitrate is the same as matrix- just smaller and does better with less flow,so it's just biological filtration for tanks that don't have a lot of live rock.

From seachem website: "As long as nitrate concentrations remain under control, the product is not exhausted." So what if your nitrates do come up?? Does that mean that it is exhausted?? My worry is will it ever leech any nitrates or anything else back out if exhausted??

I think when they say "exhausted", they probably mean that the pores are clogged with detritus and it is no longer efficiently removing the nitrates...

May want to wait for the seachem guy to respond. I'm sure that they know their products better than I do.

Ripped Tide;831325 wrote: I think when they say "exhausted", they probably mean that the pores are clogged with detritus and it is no longer efficiently removing the nitrates...

May want to wait for the seachem guy to respond. I'm sure that they know their products better than I do.

Thats why i put it in there forum!! ;) I agree with the detritus clogging so what can we do. Clean vigorously with water or what?

:)
I have matrix in the sump, lining the bottom and denitrate in a reactor that is shake when I do water changes. My thought process: frequent shaking should knock most of the detritus off.

Just scoop it during a water change and rinse/shake it thoroughly in tank water.

Ripped Tide;831337 wrote: :)
I have matrix in the sump, lining the bottom and denitrate in a reactor that is shake when I do water changes. My thought process: frequent shaking should knock most of the detritus off.

Gotcha. Mine's in a reactor as well and doesn't seem to get much detritus in it but i'll give that a try. I think my filter socks catch most of the stuff before it gets to the pump.

10~. Need to check to be sure but they've been hanging around there

Wow! I don't think we even need to answer the question! You guys and/or gals, certainly know your Seachem products! :yay:

Seachem;831514 wrote: Wow! I don't think we even need to answer the question! You guys and/or gals, certainly know your Seachem products! :yay:

:thumbs: we like our local guys.

Edit:
mph84;831363 wrote: 10~. Need to check to be sure but they've been hanging around there

As long as they aren't going up, you should be ok. It could be that you need to add more denitrate. Your tank's balance of waste/waste removal seems to have settled around 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachem http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=831514#post831514">[IMG]http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif" alt="" /></a>
[I]Wow! I don't think we even need to answer the question! You guys and/or gals, certainly know your Seachem products! :yay:</em>

:thumbs: we like our local guys.[/QUOTE]

Got that right. Still kicking myself about missing the tour. That the way the cookie crumbles I guess;-)

As long as they aren't going up, you should be ok. It could be that you need to add more denitrate. Your tank's balance of waste/waste removal seems to have settled around 10.[/QUOTE]

Can't stand for that!! They used to be undetectable!!

mph84;831600 wrote: As long as they aren't going up, you should be ok. It could be that you need to add more denitrate. Your tank's balance of waste/waste removal seems to have settled around 10.

Can't stand for that!! They used to be undetectable!!

Have you increased feeding or bioload?

What test kit? Is it within expiration? Any change in waterchange schedule?

All of the above. Added a big naso. Darn thing's a pig. All that aside i was still curious about the denitrate. Thanks for all the help guys. Just need to do more w/c's.

It seems we've found the culprit! Dang naso.

Sounds like you have a good idea of what to do from here. Good luck!

Back