Corner crack in tank

jamos5790

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey guys I was starting to with on setup of my tank yesterday and noticed a leak. I did some research today and found the it is cracked. I peeled the black tape stuff back as you can see in one picture. You can see the crack in picture from underneath.

My question is do you think it is savable?

Can I use the silicone in the picture and some super glue gel to fill crack?

I also have some jb water weld.

It is dripping about 1 drop every 8-10 min

Any help would be welcomed

20230311_184116.jpg20230311_184101.jpg20230311_185134.jpg

I strongly advise against trying to patch a leaky glass tank, the cost in dead coral, destroyed equipment and flooring far outweighs the cost of a new tank.

I found this that states saltwater aquarium.

But I see y'all are saying just don't do it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230311_193046_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230311_193046_Chrome.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 30
Not worth it but the kitchen and bath has antimold agents that will nuke your tank, learned that 20 years ago on a diy sump

Ouch. I wouldn't try to fix that crack.
If you were really not wanting to buy another tank and the crack is on the side panel - I would remove the side panel and flip it upside down and reseal it (so that the crack is on top).
But as others have said, and based on your knowledge of silicone, its really not worth the effort.
If the crack is on the bottom panel - toss it in the trash

Think of it as a blessing in disguise, it gives you extra time to work on your rock. Make one scape, take a picture of it, and then the next day change it, try a few different things and give yourself time to look different ways to use the same rocks. You may find something new you fall in love with.

@skrappy and everyone, I definitely see it as a blessing. For one I had no reason to look behind the tank and I today I did and asked on here what to do.

It will slow things down just a little but that might be a good thing. I might have found a replacement from a clubber.

I'll keep y'all updated.

Last edited:
Well here is an update on the situation. First thing you might notice is the tank looks a little different, well that's because it is a completely different tank. A huge shout out to @JAC for providing a replacement tank for FREE! I was crushed when I found out I could not repair the tank but became fanatically joyful when Jesse offered me the tank. I need to mix up more water but here it is as of now.

Thanks again ARC for the advice and Jesse for the tanks.

Back