Creating Stability in Nano Reefs

Justin Ranke

Supporting
Reaction score
I have been keeping mixed nano reefs for about 5 or 6 years now and I wanted to share my experience on how I achieved a stable reef parameters.

As many know, Nano reefs (aquariums less than 40g) are not recommended to beginners in saltwater because of the tendency of the tank being vulnerable to swings in parameters. Any seasoned hobbyist will tell you the key to success in any reef aquarium is the stability of parameters. However, how does one create this in nano reef that is susceptible to fluctuations very easily? Below I will list the tools and tactics that have helped me achieve stability in my reef tank.

1) Use of a reliable ATO (auto-top off) system.

One of the biggest issues with nano tanks, especially open top nano's, is the rapid evaporation of water. As many would know the salt doesn't leave the water as it evaporates. This leads to a very rapid changes in salinity in the tank especially in tanks closer to the pico spectrum (smaller than 10 gallons.) having a reliable ATO system will allow your tank to be topped off as the water evaporates which will result in stable salinity.

2) Using reliable and accurate testing equipment

During my first reef tank I was told that a test kit was needed for success. Being new to the hobby and learning just how expensive equipment and livestock was i decided to try and spend as little as possible when it came to test kits. I had bought the API reef test kits. To be honest that was all i needed for that tank because i was primarily keeping softies and LPS. However with my second reef tank I started experimenting with SPS and harder to keep livestock. Needless to say, this test kit led me to failure. it wasn't accurate for what I needed anymore. My SPS were either browning out or RTN. I was extremely frustrated. for as far as i could tell I was keeping it stable? This is when I decided to take keeping SPS more seriously and I invested in Hanna checkers and Red Sea reef test kits. The improvement was immediate. I could see what before my dKH was jumping from 7, 8, etc.. to seeing it was average 7.6 and would drop .2 daily and I could then dose accordingly. One of the most important thing I could give advice to anyone planning to keep SPS is that coral need stability. You need to be able to monitor to the best of your ability in order to get the best for your coral.

3) Keeping notes of what your tank parameters are.

This I have just recently started nearly 4 months ago. Many would consider me over the top when it comes to my testing. 30 minutes every day or every other day will give you incredible results. I test my tank every day after work at exactly 6:30pm. I test every day my salinity, calcium, and alkalinity. While there are other things to test for I have found those are the most valuable to the health of my corals. There are many trace elements that are just as important but I have found that I am able to replenish those with my bi weekly water change.

4) You heard me right... Bi-Weekly water change.

Most don't like the sound of that but let me explain. I have a 32 gallon aquarium and I change about 5 gallons weekly. I have found that to keep parameters steady doing 2x2.5 gallon water changes to be a lot more helpful than 1x5 gallon water change a week. This allows trace elements to be replenished without changing parameters too much. After every water change I do i will retest all and make sure that ALk is where it was at before. On the topic of water changes comes the choice of different salts. There are many different options out there and the choice comes with what you are planning to keep. find the salt that closely matches the parameters you have in the tank and stick to it! constantly changing salts will create fluctuations in your tank! keeping the same salt and doing regular water changes create a stable reef aquarium.

5) The last and most Important tip that I can give someone is... If a change needs to be made, make it slowly. If you don't need to make a change... don't!

Chasing Parameters will only create havoc in your tank. Find where your corals are happy, and then stick to it! Stability is the key to the success of any nano reef tank. keep notes of what your tank intakes every day or every other day and try to find out how to keep it at those parameters throughout the week. The ALK in my reef tank is 7.6 and my Calcium is 400ppm. I know that if i Dose 2ml of ALK it will raise my tank to 7.8 and if I dose 2ml of calcium it will bring it up about 15/20PPm. Knowing this I can take results of my alk and calcium and dose accordingly. Stability is 100% manageable in a nano reef, although it might be a bit of extra work.

These are what I have found to give the most success in my reef tank. I would love to hear what you guys have found to keep stability in your nano reef. Thank you guys!

I have been keeping mixed nano reefs for about 5 or 6 years now and I wanted to share my experience on how I achieved a stable reef parameters.

As many know, Nano reefs (aquariums less than 40g) are not recommended to beginners in saltwater because of the tendency of the tank being vulnerable to swings in parameters. Any seasoned hobbyist will tell you the key to success in any reef aquarium is the stability of parameters. However, how does one create this in nano reef that is susceptible to fluctuations very easily? Below I will list the tools and tactics that have helped me achieve stability in my reef tank.

1) Use of a reliable ATO (auto-top off) system.

One of the biggest issues with nano tanks, especially open top nano's, is the rapid evaporation of water. As many would know the salt doesn't leave the water as it evaporates. This leads to a very rapid changes in salinity in the tank especially in tanks closer to the pico spectrum (smaller than 10 gallons.) having a reliable ATO system will allow your tank to be topped off as the water evaporates which will result in stable salinity.

2) Using reliable and accurate testing equipment

During my first reef tank I was told that a test kit was needed for success. Being new to the hobby and learning just how expensive equipment and livestock was i decided to try and spend as little as possible when it came to test kits. I had bought the API reef test kits. To be honest that was all i needed for that tank because i was primarily keeping softies and LPS. However with my second reef tank I started experimenting with SPS and harder to keep livestock. Needless to say, this test kit led me to failure. it wasn't accurate for what I needed anymore. My SPS were either browning out or RTN. I was extremely frustrated. for as far as i could tell I was keeping it stable? This is when I decided to take keeping SPS more seriously and I invested in Hanna checkers and Red Sea reef test kits. The improvement was immediate. I could see what before my dKH was jumping from 7, 8, etc.. to seeing it was average 7.6 and would drop .2 daily and I could then dose accordingly. One of the most important thing I could give advice to anyone planning to keep SPS is that coral need stability. You need to be able to monitor to the best of your ability in order to get the best for your coral.

3) Keeping notes of what your tank parameters are.

This I have just recently started nearly 4 months ago. Many would consider me over the top when it comes to my testing. 30 minutes every day or every other day will give you incredible results. I test my tank every day after work at exactly 6:30pm. I test every day my salinity, calcium, and alkalinity. While there are other things to test for I have found those are the most valuable to the health of my corals. There are many trace elements that are just as important but I have found that I am able to replenish those with my bi weekly water change.

4) You heard me right... Bi-Weekly water change.

Most don't like the sound of that but let me explain. I have a 32 gallon aquarium and I change about 5 gallons weekly. I have found that to keep parameters steady doing 2x2.5 gallon water changes to be a lot more helpful than 1x5 gallon water change a week. This allows trace elements to be replenished without changing parameters too much. After every water change I do i will retest all and make sure that ALk is where it was at before. On the topic of water changes comes the choice of different salts. There are many different options out there and the choice comes with what you are planning to keep. find the salt that closely matches the parameters you have in the tank and stick to it! constantly changing salts will create fluctuations in your tank! keeping the same salt and doing regular water changes create a stable reef aquarium.

5) The last and most Important tip that I can give someone is... If a change needs to be made, make it slowly. If you don't need to make a change... don't!

Chasing Parameters will only create havoc in your tank. Find where your corals are happy, and then stick to it! Stability is the key to the success of any nano reef tank. keep notes of what your tank intakes every day or every other day and try to find out how to keep it at those parameters throughout the week. The ALK in my reef tank is 7.6 and my Calcium is 400ppm. I know that if i Dose 2ml of ALK it will raise my tank to 7.8 and if I dose 2ml of calcium it will bring it up about 15/20PPm. Knowing this I can take results of my alk and calcium and dose accordingly. Stability is 100% manageable in a nano reef, although it might be a bit of extra work.

These are what I have found to give the most success in my reef tank. I would love to hear what you guys have found to keep stability in your nano reef. Thank you guys!
Thanks for the very thoughtful input.

Very informative post! Thanks for the tips. My first tank was a 10 gal lol it was not easy and crashed very fast sadly.

Very informative post! Thanks for the tips. My first tank was a 10 gal lol it was not easy and crashed very fast sadly.
Nano's are very difficult. things can go wrong very very quickly. But with the right knowledge they can be very rewarding. just a little bit of growth can make a huge difference

Great info. I've struggled with small tanks primarily because I've gotten too anxious and wanted to make things happen overnight. Patience is key.

Great info. I've struggled with small tanks primarily because I've gotten too anxious and wanted to make things happen overnight. Patience is key.
that was my issue as well. patience. great things don't happen over night and you can't force a tank to be ready for more difficult to keep coral.

Great info— especially regarding the red sea test kits and the 2.5 gallon bi weekly water changes!

Back