Cleaning up our website

bcavalli

Market
Reaction score
As most of you are aware we are in the process of building a new website. Due to the incredibly large amount of data on our site we are in the process of cleaning up non reef related information dating back to 2004+.

To help facilitate the move we are asking (this week) if everyone can check your old pictures that may have been used in the past. Such as, pictures in the for sale forums and non reef related pictures that are not important to you. If everyone could delete these, it will really help us facilitate this transition and ensure it goes smoothly. If you have pictures saved that were posted in information threads, keep those as they are important to the those who are looking for information about our hobby.

If you are going to clean up your old pictures, we suggest that you may want to save some of these old pictures to your device as you may not have these pictures backed up for your own personal use.

We really appreciate your assistance and we look forward to the upcoming new website.

If you don't know how to delete your own attachments, follow these steps:

Go to User CP in the upper left corner of the toolbar. Click on the down arrow.
Select Edit Profile. You'll get a new screen.
Under Miscellaneous. Select Attachments.

This will take you to a list of all your attachments and what thread they were posted in. You can view the attachment by simply clicking on it's name.

To the right is a check box. If you check that box then scroll to the bottom and select Delete. It will permanently remove the attachment from our database. Once deleted, it can not be recovered. You have to do this one page at a time if you have multiple pages of attachments.

I haven't hosted any of my pics on the site so I've not familiar with the process with this older vBulletin forum. We purged all threads over a year old in the Trading and selling forums. If when you follow Jeff's instructions above you may find some broken links. If so those could be because of the purge and any of those pics should be safe to delete. I know this will be a bit of a tedious process but any help you can offer us in reducing the amount of non reef related content stored on the site will go a long way. This includes clearing out your old PM's that you may no longer need.

All of this is going to help our developer move our site to their servers. Due to the amount of data going back over 15yrs he was having to out source help the facilitate this move. Which also comes with added time and expense. We're hoping that by reducing the amount of storage space the site takes up they may be able to now handle the move internally. The faster we get the site on their servers the faster we can roll out the new forum.

The board would like to thank you in advance for all of the help you can offer us with this clean up!

There ya go.... deleted all attachments you now have an extra 1.05 MB

You da man Larry, thankyou.. Every bit helps, times that by 600+ paid members and it adds up quick.

It would also be appreciated if folks would reduce their email storage. That's one of the areas the developer is having issues with. I know that I deleted about 1100 yesterday bringing me down to around 200 stored emails. If everybody could do that, we might get ahead of the migration schedule and get the members a fresh, new website much faster. :yes::D

I started downloading some pix of mine that I want to save. I'll finish this evening I have to go to work now :) Hopefully we have a little time...

Jenn

JennM;1109389 wrote: I started downloading some pix of mine that I want to save. I'll finish this evening I have to go to work now :) Hopefully we have a little time...

Jenn

You do have some time but we don't want to drag it out forever. LOL!!

I hear ya. I should be done this evening.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

One of the reasons I host all my photos on Photobucket and not directly on the site.

Me too plus it shows a full picture instead of a link. I have tons of pictures on photobucket and I have yet to put a dent in my maximum allowed under a free account.

I saved a few that I might not have elsewhere. It was kind of a trip down memory lane :)

Jenn

Back