Breeding Ostorhinchus compressus - Ochrestriped Cardinalfish

bobz

Supporting
Reaction score
I've got a pair of adult Ochrestriped Cardinalfish, approximately 4" size, housed in my 180 that have been spawning for the past six months.  I haven't tried to collect any of the larva when the male releases yet,  but I plan on using my pelagic collector to see if I can trap some next time he releases.    I'm starting up my rotifer cultures again and will need some time to build them up to sufficient density but in the mean time I can see if I can even collect them out of the 180.  These fish are similar to Pajama Cardinal in that they release the spawn after about 5 to 7 days and the larva are pelagic.    I've has some success in the past collecting Sphaeramia larva in the past so I think I should be able to get a few hundred if I time it correctly.    I started this thread to track and progress (or lack there of) and will post some images of the pair, as well as any larva once I collect.

Thanks folks. The broodstock is still spawning pretty regularly. It looks like the male holds the eggs for about 5 or 6 days. I am trying to get the timing down for collection. I've missed them the first time and then was out of town. Will be trying again the next cycle. I've ordered some S type rotifers from Reed Mariculture and hope to be starting up new cultures shortly. In the mean time I'm trying to post a few pics of the broodstock here.

A couple of images attached.

Attachments

• 9E59D1B2-2317-4336-9D64-AB1FEB1D1BEA.jpeg
    9E59D1B2-2317-4336-9D64-AB1FEB1D1BEA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 765C2CCD-D414-42BF-854A-923D1D8F2994.jpeg
    765C2CCD-D414-42BF-854A-923D1D8F2994.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
  • 518DE263-FB91-4E82-BBCA-313EE0C685D5.jpeg
    518DE263-FB91-4E82-BBCA-313EE0C685D5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • 3774CC93-ABED-4A63-AFE2-D56B2CCCDEA5.jpeg
    3774CC93-ABED-4A63-AFE2-D56B2CCCDEA5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
Very Cool - I had African Cichlids breeding a long time ago. They also held and tumbled the eggs in their mouth. After the eggs hatched they would "spit" them into a cave and protect the fry. If anything got too close they would gather up the fry in their mouth.

Was very cool to watch - unfortunately I wound up with 80+ small African Cichlids in an 80 gallon tank and had a hard time finding them homes.

I know! I used to breed cichlids too, a long long time ago! Always been interested in this aspect of the hobby. Been a bit more challenging with marine fish. I've gotten some tail-spot blennies about 20 days post hatch but lost them. Then had some changes and had to take down my breeding setup. Looking forward to starting back up and build up my system again. Will take some time but should be back up and running next year.

must be amazing to see them breed, I did have angel fish pair for my freshwater that breed, but fries don't have a chance since i go on a biz trip alot
only one grew up to be the same size as parent, but mother died.

Well, it's taken me a bit longer than I expected but I am going to finally begin trying to raise this species. The pair continues to spawn regularly and I am going to try collecting the next spawn. I'll be working with Heisenberg Aquaculture and hope to be able to use some copepods to get them past meta. I'll post some pictures of the pair and the larva when I collect them soon.

Looking forward to the posts. I used to have a few cichlid tanks for breeding myself. Breeding and growing cichlids is easy once you know what to look for and have the time to manage multiple tanks. I would love to try some marine fish myself some day...a day far in the future....lol. Good luck!

Broke out my trusty Chad Vossen larvae snagger to try and capture some larvae tonight. The male had been holding for several days and typically he releases them day 5 or 6. I’ll try the next few nights and see what I can catch. It’s been awhile since I used the trap. Excited to see what I get.

Attachments

• DC7567AA-D3E5-400E-848A-89C8E092D656.jpeg
    DC7567AA-D3E5-400E-848A-89C8E092D656.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
The male cardinal is still holding. No release last night. Won't be able to try again until tomorrow night. Let's see what happens.

I forgot to turn off the pumps tonight so not sure if I will catch any larvae tonight if he releases. Lights were out for a couple of hours before I remembered. Will check in the morning.

Male released the larvae last night but I wasn't able to collect. I'll have to wait again for the next spawn.

It looks like the pair has spawned again and the male is holding eggs. Hope to make another attempt at catching them when he releases again. If this doesn't work I may try moving the male to a holding tank wile he incubates the eggs next time.

Male holding again.

Attachments

• 6C79EA77-F701-469E-A17A-7A88BC50C932.jpeg
    6C79EA77-F701-469E-A17A-7A88BC50C932.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
It’s been some time since I started this thread. The pair continues to spawn and the male is holding again. I’m going to try and catch the larvae this week and see what happens since I have a ready supply of rotifers. They may be too large for the fry but I’ll give it a go. Included a pic of the male holding eggs. 45088949-927B-421B-9E7E-AA5A19E9EF96.jpeg

If rotifers is to big what would they eat? Or what they normally eat?

Back