Black anemone

Givmeanf

Supporting
Reaction score
I am in upstate New York for a month or so.
A LFS has a large and a small jet black anemone.
Now, I have to admit there is a lot, I mean a lot for coral reef things I have no idea about.
But, is this something unique, or am I going to be able to find another one in Atlanta.
And if you convince me I need to get it now, I would keep it in a nano cube by its self.
So, my questions are can I wait?
And what is the minimum gallon size tank I could keep it in, and it survive?
The big one was very impressive (to me, I’m easily impressed when it comes to corals).

(Please tell me they are common and I can pick one up in Atlanta, this LFS is so overpriced!)
I shoulda snapped a picture!

Do It Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

I've never heard of a black nem...but just off the top of my head - I can't think of anything that is photosynthetic and black 🤷‍♂️

Could it be like a black sun coral or tube anemone or something? I’ve also never heard of just a black nem outside of the black widow one. Quick google search only pulls up a black tube anemone

Most likely a black tube anemone (actually a tyle of zoanthid!), they are not photosynthetic and have a very potent sting, so be careful housing them with clowns. I have always loved them but never had the balls to keep one in my mixed reef haha.

Im in NYC til this Saturday and I love to stop by that LFS! Share as to where it is?

I went back to buy some water.
I asked about these critters.
I couldn’t get a decent picture.
They also come in a bright yellow.
Seems they are
Tube Anemones
  • Tube anemones create tough, leathery tubes in the sand to shield themselves from grit. When threatened by predators like the barber slug, they quickly retreat into their tubes.

Attachments

• IMG_2850.jpeg
    IMG_2850.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 7
Most likely a black tube anemone (actually a tyle of zoanthid!), they are not photosynthetic and have a very potent sting, so be careful housing them with clowns. I have always loved them but never had the balls to keep one in my mixed reef haha.
This is it.

Im in NYC til this Saturday and I love to stop by that LFS! Share as to where it is?
This store is in Dutchess county, New York.
80 miles north of NYC. If you were to drive up from the city, take the Taconic Parkway. It is north of I-84 if you look on a map.

I will make it out there to check out them black anemone sometime this week. Take some pics. <><

I will make it out there to check out them black anemone sometime this week. Take some pics. <><
What are you doing in NYC?
Where are you staying?
You have a car?
What day do you think you will come?
FYI.
The LFS is in a small shopping center on highway 376.
Seemly, in the middle of nowhere.
Go around to the back of the building.
That's where the door is.
There is parking back there too.
Don't be surprised.
It is a nice store, but the LFS's around the Atlanta area are stocked with much more stuff.
Also, if YOU are driving and you are not used to driving in this area, when a caution sign says slow to 35, do it.
The roads are 2-lane and Curvey!

I come upto NY/NJ/CT every 2-3 month for a work and stay 1 week at a time. I am staying near Fort Lee NJ. I was in NYC first part of the week.

I've rented a car so I am driving. ***ALL NEWER cars and electronics only use USB-C. I learned hard way and keeps forgetting to bring usb-c charger and had to buy it. It was much cheaper than before ($20 for apple brand) but still annoying...**

I'll probably go there on Saturday morning. I;ll call and make sure the anemone is there before making a trip out there. I never got to up state NY so I be careful~

They don’t open until 1:00PM
I DM you my name and cell number in case you do something and need bailing out.

Also, drive up hwy 17 to the NY thruway, to I-84 east, cross the Newburgh/Beacon bridge (over the Hudson River, get in the right lane and look to your right for the view), then exist at the Poughkeepsie (rte 9) exit. Then follow WAYs or what ever you use to get you the rest of the way.
And are you just window shopping, or are you seriously thinking of buying one and flying it home?
And if you stay up this way until dinner time, or get here early enough for lunch, go eat at Billy Joe’s restaurant in Newburgh on the river front. You will enjoy it. There’s a row of restaurants all with river front patios. It’s very nice. ( and if you are on company expenses, well …………)

Last edited:
I'll probably go there on Saturday morning. I‘ll call and make sure the anemone is there before making a trip out there. I never got to up state NY so I be careful~
Call them Friday night before closing time. If they have them at 7 in the evening the day before, they will be there at 1PM on Saturday.
I think there are three in the tank.
(And FYI, everything around here is north/south upstate/downstate. ‘Out there’ is Pennsylvania, and the rest of America. 😃)

Back