Are you ready in case the power goes out?

bcavalli

Market
Reaction score
I just Wanted to start a thread on prepping for power outages.

I have a UPS for my pumps, gas generator to run all the necessary equipment + (extra heaters) and a couple of electric fan heaters on standby. We also have a gas fireplace. But, my biggest fear like most of us, is how do you keep your tanks temp up when your house temp drops like a rock. I know we can wrap blankets around them perhaps even adding an electric blanket around the main DT.

Tip - If you don't have a generator you can use a cigarette plug inverter and run extension cords to necessary equipment.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that may help?

I filled up all my 5gal buckets with fresh water and let sit to warm temperature. This mostly for the 20gal and pico, which can suffer wild salinity swings

black friday generator sale baby
ready for the first time in 3+ years for power outage ;)

Battery powered pumps, a generator if you can, inverter if budget is tight.

If you have none of these, agitate the water at regular intervals, even if it means scooping up a pitcher of water and pouring it back into the tank to keep water moving and oxygenated.

I bit of cold will be OK for most fishes, and hardy corals. More sensitive corals can be hit and miss.

The trick is that any changes - ie colder or warmer, should be as gradual as possible.

Now get a milk sandwich and hunker down ;)

Jenn

JennM;1068802 wrote: Battery powered pumps, a generator if you can, inverter if budget is tight.

If you have none of these, agitate the water at regular intervals, even if it means scooping up a pitcher of water and pouring it back into the tank to keep water moving and oxygenated.

I bit of cold will be OK for most fishes, and hardy corals. More sensitive corals can be hit and miss.

The trick is that any changes - ie colder or warmer, should be as gradual as possible.

Jenn

Great advice as always Jenn! :).

Two different size generators, a power inverter and a UPS unit to run powerheads. I have moving blankets to wrap the tank in if needed. Luckily, all of our power runs underground so we don't suffer quite as bad as where it's overhead. I'm also on gas heat so an extension cord wired into the 10-vac fan motor and power from the generator and I'm set.

JennM;1068802 wrote: Battery powered pumps, a generator if you can, inverter if budget is tight.

Jenn

Ping or Bingo! Both work on this post!

porpoiseaquatics;1068825 wrote: Two different size generators, a power inverter and a UPS unit to run powerheads. I have moving blankets to wrap the tank in if needed. Luckily, all of our power runs underground so we don't suffer quite as bad as where it's overhead. I'm also on gas heat so an extension cord wired into the 10-vac fan motor and power from the generator and I'm set.

I definitely need to get with you on how to wire in my furnace with an outlet! I never considered that as an option.

even if it means scooping up a pitcher of water and pouring it back into the tank to keep water moving and oxygenated.
blog-post_23.html"><span style="color:

Couple years ago when it was out for a few days I needed to scooping pitchers of water and warming them in the fireplace for a little while. As long as the pitcher is full it won't melt even if it is plastic. Just have to be careful not to get anything in it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Wanted to get a UPS for my Pump Ecotech Vectra. Do I need to buy the ecotech or will any UPS work. What are you guys using for UPS

gclackum;1068936 wrote: Wanted to get a UPS for my Pump Ecotech Vectra. Do I need to buy the ecotech or will any UPS work. What are you guys using for UPS

I picked mine up at Costco on sale it was $129 for a 1500 watt. They have a great return policy in case the battery goes south the first couple years.

I saw this video on Marine Depot regarding this poweroutages and thought that they had several worthwhile suggestions.

While watching I thought of one more thing I could do: Get 2nd battery so that when the 1st one is exhausted, I can recharge it via my generator while the 2nd battery is powering a few powerheads.

Here's their video: <!-- gcu-updated ame -->https://youtu.be/6KEwrNtu_kU<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

Back