Aqua Illumination PAR results. 70 Degree Optics

seth the wine guy

Reaction score
Due to a spot lighting effect with the stock 40 degree optics I changed out 14 of the 16 optics and replaced them with 70 degree. I left one 40 degree in each module in areas where I wanted deeper light penetration for clams or other PAR lovers that I want to put lower in the tank.

I am running two AI SOL Blue length wise over a 47x24x25 tank and have the units 7" off the water. These measurements were taken with both blues and whites at 100%.

With Blues at 100% and whites at 80% subtract 40 from the PAR number I have. I am running at this percentage right now due to liking the 20k look. I will eventually ramp the whites higher if that's what the corals want.

Raising the lights just 1.25" resulted in 18 points of PAR loss.

No making fun of my frag fest tank either!

I will update with growth results as time passes. I will try and minimize coral rearranging.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
669952=31792-Tank PAR.jpg
>
669952=31792-Tank PAR.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank PAR.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Seth, I would not start out with the lights that high. No matter what the par meter says, almost everyone that starts out with these at high percentages end up bleaching their corals. I'd back the blues to less than 50% to start and the whites a lot less than that.

Edit:
Budsreef;669971 wrote: Seth, I would not start out with the lights that high. No matter what the par meter says, almost everyone that starts out with these at high percentages end up bleaching their corals. I'd back the blues to less than 50% to start and the whites a lot less than that.

It's taken me 3 months to ramp the lights up that high. SPS is begging for more light. I started my whites at 50% and dialed it up from there.

Just realized how hard it is to see the numbers. I made them bigger. NEW PHOTO ATTACHED
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
669974=31795-Tank PAR upload.jpg
>
669974=31795-Tank PAR upload.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank PAR upload.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Can you tell a difference under the 40 optics? You have 2 fixtures over a 120? Any thoughts of adding a third? Everything seem happy? So far, I am VERY happy with mine.

MvM;670024 wrote: Can you tell a difference under the 40 optics? You have 2 fixtures over a 120? Any thoughts of adding a third? Everything seem happy? So far, I am VERY happy with mine.

-6" down in water- PAR is 200 points different from 40 to 70 degree optics.

-Yes. Two fixtures are currently over a 120

-Yes, I believe I will be adding a third. I will play around with the optics more before doing so by adding 40 degrees back in here and there.

-LPS and Zoa's are exploding in the bottom and perimeter of the tank. SPS look good but not having good growth. Good color but very slow going. (Except for the Monti's!)

-I've yet to come to a verdict on my happiness level with them. A.I. assured me two units were sufficient for needs and wouldn't be happy needing to buy a third.

Edit:
Wineman;670063 wrote: Seth, tank is really coming along nicely....looking great!!

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I really need to come see you soon. Home or work!

Seth, sorry, I was thinking you were just starting them up. I'm still struggling with mine bleaching corals so I started over at the beginning with very low settings.

Seth The Wine Guy;669974 wrote: Edit:

It's taken me 3 months to ramp the lights up that high. SPS is begging for more light. I started my whites at 50% and dialed it up from there.

Just realized how hard it is to see the numbers. I made them bigger. NEW PHOTO ATTACHED

Very nice Seth. What kind of par meter you use? I need to check the par in my tank too.

Back