Announcing: ARC Virtual Member Cards

giulianom

Market
Reaction score
I'm happy to announce something that I've been working on for quite some time:

<span style="font-size: 16px;">ARC Virtual Member Cards</span>

We're discontinuing the practice of printing physical cards for people, to be replaced by a Virtual Card generated in a PDF format.
<span style="font-size: 13px;">
The Virtual Card can be:</span>

<ul>
<li>Viewed Online</li>
<li>Saved to a Smartphone (if you have one)</li>
<li>Printed (if you have a printer)</li>
<li>Saved and printed at a library or copy center (if you don\'t have a printer, or a Smartphone)</li>
</ul>

<span style="font-size: 13px;">The Virtual Card contains the following information:</span>

<ul>
<li>Your ARC User Name</li>
<li>Your ARC Membership Expiration Date</li>
<li>Your Full Name and Address</li>
</ul>
<span style="font-size: 13px;">
In addition the card displays the following:</span>

<ul>
<li>Your ARC Forum avatar (as it is currently set, and scaled down in size)</li>
<li>A QR Barcode with a link to your public User Profile. If scanned by a Smartphone, it will show your public User Profile - but only what other Members can see.</li>
</ul>
<span style="font-size: 13px;">How do you view your ARC Virtual Member Card?</span>

Go to the User CP menu, then the http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/payments.php">ARC Subscription</a> link. (Or click the link here.)

The Virtual Member Card link will be on the right side, next to the expiration date.

If you are [B]currently[/B] an ARC Member, clicking the link will open a PDF file in a new tab/window and you can save/print/etc it as you will.

If you're not an ARC Member... you won't see anything. :)

The ARC Sponsors have been informed of the new Virtual Card format, and should know what to expect.

Any questions?

I appreciate the work. That's great news. I see so many new members questioning this part of their membership and I feel this will have a nice flow of continuity from here on out.

Now what is the ARC BOD going to do with the expensive plastic card printer? I hope it gets sold and re-invested back into the club...

Awesome! Thanks Giuliano for all your hard work and thanks to all others who helped to make this possible:)

It will download in my app Polaris viewer 4.1 but it will provoke the app to stop suddenly... will try in desktop comp

Say it isn't so. :argue: :smashfreakB: :aargh4: Yahoo! Yahoo! :yes: :wow2: :shades: :thewave: :party:

Congrats !! to gettin' it done. Now we can focus on getting the new agenda on the table; the ARC educational meetings coming soon. With the new team in place, we're off to a great start. Oh wait! We need to elect the new candidates. Casting my ballot right now!

Wannabee

^ if they did, the qr code or sponsors looking at the actual member profile would show its a fake..

good job G!

Sponsors can scan the QR code if they choose - its optional.

The cards are generated on the fly, and not stored - there's no template to get.

Only you can view your own card, and only if you're a member.

The PDF page size is supposed to be credit card sized, but it should print as a card size on any standard 8.5x11" page.

At least it did on the printers I tested.

Acandoit;992112 wrote: Probably something I can fix on my end, but the top line gets cut in half when I print. That, and it doesn't print pre-laminated from my printer....

Pretty cool though. Thank you!!!

I just tested it, and I did find that if you print it from the built-in PDF viewer in Firefox, the top line (Atlanta Reef Club) does get garbled.

Open the file in another PDF reader - Adobe, Foxit, even the Windows 8 "Reader" app all print it fine.

In the print settings, check to see if there's a print scaling option - it should be set to none, 1:1, or actual size... something along those lines.

i get TCPDF ERROR: [Image] Unable to get the size of the image: /var/www/vhosts/atlantareefclub.org/httpdocs/forums/images/customavatars/avatar6044_0.gif

mattgee87;992169 wrote: i get TCPDF ERROR: [Image] Unable to get the size of the image: /var/www/vhosts/atlantareefclub.org/httpdocs/forums/images/customavatars/avatar6044_0.gif

You don't have an Avatar image, and it's expecting one...

I'll fix that soon, but for now the easiest work-around is to upload an avatar picture. :)

Just a refresher for those who have trouble getting their card. If you upload an avitar you should be able to access it.

GiulianoM - informed me several months ago that I won 2 gift cards to Pure Reef at one of our events. How can I track these down - as I do not recall ever receiving them.

Thanks
Bruce Berman

Back