Anemone hiding

becerril17

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi all, we’re new reefers and recently brought home a anemone on Tuesday afternoon. We acclimated him the correct way and when I put him in the tank he grabbed onto the rock I put him on. He seemed to like that spot and didn’t move for a few hours but then out of no where started creeping around the rock. I know they move until they find a comfortable spot but he kept moving until he is now in cave swim through area in the rocks. His color looks good but I’m worried. I keep reading different things.
Advice?? I rather not continue spinning trying to decide what’s best to do so that’s why I'm asking. Please help!

I also have turned one of my power heads off (they are anemone safe, I made sure of that!!) but I turned one off because my Yellow Tail Damsel keeps losing his color. When I turn one of the power heads off his color comes back. Is this normal behavior or do I have too much movement in the tank?

Last edited:
Different types of anemones live in different areas, I'm going to assume you have a bubble tip anemone. Bubble tips like to have their foot in a crevice that they can suck up into to hide from predators if they feel threatened. It is common for them to put their foot in a hole, sometimes even in the bottom side of a rock. I would not be worried about it being in your cave. If it is in complete darkness and doesn't come out for a week then I might look into it more as it is probably unhappy. You can tell if a nem is unhappy because it will close up into itself, or if its really unhappy or sick its mouth will be gaping open.

I have never had a FISH loose color from specifically from flow. Scared fish can show their stress pattern and with some fish that can be muted colors, I've never kept any damsel fish(except clowns) so I'm not sure what they look like when they are stressed. It is really hard to judge if you have too much flow without seeing your tank and knowing what powerheads you are using and how you have them set. With brand new tanks and powerheads, and new hobbyists, it is entirely possible to have too much flow, but in my experience the vast majority of people can't get enough flow. But the more you mess with turning them on and off and rearranging them, that nem will have a really hard time getting a happy spot and opening up the way you want.

Yup I have two bubble tip anemones and both of them found their favorite spots on the underside of a rock. Once they got comfy they started stretching up and over the rock to reach the light. They haven't moved in over a year now!

Different types of anemones live in different areas, I'm going to assume you have a bubble tip anemone. Bubble tips like to have their foot in a crevice that they can suck up into to hide from predators if they feel threatened. It is common for them to put their foot in a hole, sometimes even in the bottom side of a rock. I would not be worried about it being in your cave. If it is in complete darkness and doesn't come out for a week then I might look into it more as it is probably unhappy. You can tell if a nem is unhappy because it will close up into itself, or if its really unhappy or sick its mouth will be gaping open.

I have never had a FISH loose color from specifically from flow. Scared fish can show their stress pattern and with some fish that can be muted colors, I've never kept any damsel fish(except clowns) so I'm not sure what they look like when they are stressed. It is really hard to judge if you have too much flow without seeing your tank and knowing what powerheads you are using and how you have them set. With brand new tanks and powerheads, and new hobbyists, it is entirely possible to have too much flow, but in my experience the vast majority of people can't get enough flow. But the more you mess with turning them on and off and rearranging them, that nem will have a really hard time getting a happy spot and opening up the way you want.
Hey! I just wanted to say Thank You for the advice! I just realized I never replied when I first saw your comment. All is good now! It came out of hiding and seems pretty comfortable now, I definitely felt relief when I read your comment and even more now knowing it’s doing well and just needed time.

Yup I have two bubble tip anemones and both of them found their favorite spots on the underside of a rock. Once they got comfy they started stretching up and over the rock to reach the light. They haven't moved in over a year now!
That’s awesome! Now that I have one I keep hearing that anemones are pretty funny and they do odd things. I was so scared that I added it to my tank too soon but it’s doing so well now!

Attachments

• 0EE2BFAF-5F67-4B24-BBCB-743BAACC2FE3.jpeg
    0EE2BFAF-5F67-4B24-BBCB-743BAACC2FE3.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 8
  • F43BABC8-6061-4638-AE09-7C83D7AD2B5A.jpeg
    F43BABC8-6061-4638-AE09-7C83D7AD2B5A.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 8
Back